SOLVED

Enable 'sql_request' plugin in Log Analytics

Deleted
Not applicable

I am trying to use the 'evaluate sql_request' command within Log Analytics, but I get a message returned saying "Plugin 'sql_request' is disabled".

Can anyone help me identify where I go to enable plugins for Log Analytics?

Thanks.

6 Replies
best response
Solution

Hi Brandon,
This plugin is disabled intentionally as a precaution, as a safe guard and to prevent misuse on public services as Log Analytics. We will remove the relevant article from our docs.
We examine this decision from time to time, you can track coming changes through the change log.

Thanks,

Noa

Ah, thank you for the response!

Hi @Noa Kuperberg,

I'm getting this same error at the moment when I try to run a sql request from within Azure Logs.

Plugin 'sql_request' is disabled
If issue persists, please open a support ticket.
Request id: 81b3f20d-c1a6-496a-9106-5a1c3c67f4b5

These queries worked up until last week.
Please advise ASAP as we are on a tight deadline for these analytics.

Many thanks

Hi @AnnieMcC ,

This plugin should've been blocked on Log Analytics from the get go, but we recently found that specific LA clusters allowed it, by mistake. I found now that these cluster have been fixed to block it.

only ADX should allow running it...

I do apoligize you've taken a dependency on this plugin, Log Analytics will not be supporting it in the near future. 

@Noa Kuperberg thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, that's a bit of a pain as I have written some analytics reports that use our Azure SQL DB tables as "lookups".

Can you point me towards some documentation on how to now achieve this?

My end goal is a Power BI report where the 2 data sources will be combined - Log Analytics & the SQL DB data.

thanks 

@AnnieMcC  there is no exact replacement for this plugin, and the limitation is basically on connecting to external data sources that could be abused.

So:

1. If the content is static and short, you can use the datatable operator.

2. If the content is static but longer, export from SQL to a file, and ingest to Log Analytics as a custom log. Then you can reference it in your query.

3. Probably best option - query both LA in SQL through PowerBI, which you plan to use anyway. To do that, create the query you want for only your LA data in the Azure portal, and then choose to Export to Power BI. This is really easy, and converts your query to the Power BI M language, so you can run it over there, and cross-query SQL in Power BI itself.

HTH

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Hi Brandon,
This plugin is disabled intentionally as a precaution, as a safe guard and to prevent misuse on public services as Log Analytics. We will remove the relevant article from our docs.
We examine this decision from time to time, you can track coming changes through the change log.

Thanks,

Noa

View solution in original post