SOLVED

Designer in log Analytics removed ???

Brass Contributor

Hi all, I created a new workspace and was going to create a new view in the designer , but i cant find it anymore ? is this a bug or is it removed already, haven't seen any news about that ?

the workspace pricing tier is perGB 

I attached a screenshot.

Thanks.

7 Replies

hi thats really great

@Ahmed Atef wrote:

Hi all, I created a new workspace and was going to create a new view in the designer , but i cant find it anymore ? is this a bug or is it removed already, haven't seen any news about that ?

the workspace pricing tier is perGB 

I attached a screenshot.

Thanks.

FYI, I just deployed a new workspace in a Pay-As-You-Go subscription and i have View Designer available.  

Hi Travis, thanks for your reply but in my subscription its bound to the new pricing model, where there is only perGB ingestion, or thats how it seems to me, so i dont know how i can use the designer feature anymore. 

image.png

I'm on the same pricing model.  It was deployed in the East US Region.  Have you tried deploying another, maybe in a different region, to see if it can be reproduced?  I would also try viewing with a different web browser just to rule that out. 

Hi Travis, actually i looked abit more close and i found a link to the designer on the overview page, with create your own views. so its there somehow but not on the left panel as it always should. maybe its a single subscription issue. my workspace is deployed on west europe. here is the screenshot for it. image.png

best response confirmed by Ahmed Atef (Brass Contributor)
Solution

After digging deep, we found out that its a permission issue, i was having permissions on the subscription as log analytics Contributer and Log Analytics Reader, and apparently this is not enought, once i became a contributer on the subscription level it appeared and works for me. 

I ran into the same issue with the View Designer but roles at the subscription level did not fix the issue.  What was required is the "Contributor" not "Log Analytics Contributor" at the Log Analytics Workspace resource level.  This is in the documentation here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/platform/view-designer#required-permissions.  I suppose after reading various role permission articles to figure out what was wrong, I simply didn't notice just "Contributor".

Thanks,

Bryan

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ahmed Atef (Brass Contributor)
Solution

After digging deep, we found out that its a permission issue, i was having permissions on the subscription as log analytics Contributer and Log Analytics Reader, and apparently this is not enought, once i became a contributer on the subscription level it appeared and works for me. 

View solution in original post