SOLVED

Changing the X-Axis range on a custom view?

Copper Contributor

I'm currently getting "Disk Reads/sec" and "Disk Writes/sec" from the windows performance counters and pulling them into OMS.

If I use the Advanced Editor, the timechart I generate looks great as it begins at the start of my data. When I take the same query, and put it into a line chart within a custom view, the data gets all scrunched up as I am a 1 second interval and the line chart has an X-Axis range of 24 hours.

Is there any way to change the X-Axis range on a custom view?

This is my query: 

Perf 
| where ObjectName == "LogicalDisk" 
    and CounterName == "Disk Reads/sec" 
    or CounterName == "Disk Writes/sec" 
| where ( InstanceName != "_Total")   
| summarize avg(CounterValue) by bin(TimeGenerated, 1s), InstanceName  

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Ketan Ghelani (Microsoft)
Solution

My guess is you're overloading your chart with too much data.  I just tried it out, and increasing the bin size seems to correct it.  1sec is pretty extreme anyway for a chart anyway.  1min or even 5min uses the same data and should display the chart fine. 

1) When you say "pulling into OMS" - Do you mean the Log Search page in OMS or the View Designer or overview tile.

2) By Advanced Editor do you mean Advanced Analytics portal - correct ?

3) By Custom View -- I am assuming you created a custom view in View Designer, It doesn't support these many data points.

Brian,

Being able to look at resource usage in 1 second bins is not an unreasonable or unusual requirement. 5 minute bins that show a flat 20% usage of disk or memory or CPU can represent a normal load, or it can represent a normal 10% load plus a bad spike that is pegging the resource for 30 seconds straight once every 5 minutes and having a major impact on end users and one's business. Ops engineers need to be able to look at and visualize historical logs non-aggregated.

You should be able to look at that view in the advanced analytics portal and then pin it to Azure Dashboards.

Actually, bin of 1sec gives me a warning in the Advanced Portal.  Averaging on 1min should still show spikes and be suitable for analysis.  Most of the perf data isn't sampling at 1sec anyway.  Keep in mind that you can also configure alert rules on near real time perf data to quickly identify anomolies as well.

Can you pin an advanced analytics query to a custom view within the View Designer in Log Analyics? It's not possible at the moment, right?

No you can't pin to Custom View in View Designer, but you can pin it to Azure Dashboards

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ketan Ghelani (Microsoft)
Solution

My guess is you're overloading your chart with too much data.  I just tried it out, and increasing the bin size seems to correct it.  1sec is pretty extreme anyway for a chart anyway.  1min or even 5min uses the same data and should display the chart fine. 

View solution in original post