SOLVED

Alert on Backup Jobs

Brass Contributor

Hi Team,

I want to generate alert when backup job is running more than 3 hours. But not sure how to Create this but I am sure we can create this since when I are running below query. We have JobDurationInSecs_s (in seconds) in output.

I tried to generate alert using below query but not able to run this. Pleas let me know how I can do this

AzureDiagnostics
| where Category == "AzureBackupReport"

| where JobDurationInSecs_s >= 140000

Thanks in advance for the help :)

3 Replies

there are 10,800 seconds in 3 hours...

140,000sec is 38.89 days...

ohhh..Sorry Sir, It was a typo. My Bad :p

I tried two queries.

First is :-

AzureDiagnostics | where Category == 'AzureBackupReport' | where OperationName == 'Job' | where JobDurationInSecs_s == 33641.4431761

It is running and generating output. 

But when i am using below query to generate alert then it is throwing an error message

Cannot compare values of types string and real. Try adding explicit casts.

AzureDiagnostics | where Category == 'AzureBackupReport' | where OperationName == 'Job' | where JobDurationInSecs_s >= 33641.4431761

I used >, gt, in place of >= but no luck

best response confirmed by GouravIN (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You can see by the name of the column that it is a string.  The "_s" suffix tells you this.

to convert it to a double for comparison call the todouble function.

AzureDiagnostics | where Category == 'AzureBackupReport' | where OperationName == 'Job'
| where todouble(JobDurationInSecs_s) >= 33641.4

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by GouravIN (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You can see by the name of the column that it is a string.  The "_s" suffix tells you this.

to convert it to a double for comparison call the todouble function.

AzureDiagnostics | where Category == 'AzureBackupReport' | where OperationName == 'Job'
| where todouble(JobDurationInSecs_s) >= 33641.4

View solution in original post