Welcome to the Azure Migration Tech Community

Microsoft

Welcome to the new Azure Migration IT Forum. Here we will discuss, disclosure and talk about all things migration. Migrating to Azure is not simply lifting and shifting your existing VM’s (although you can easily do this if you want), there are many tools and services available to help you discover, right-size and optimize your VM’s before they more to Azure – saving you time and money. However, migration is not all about Virtual Machines. Much of the time you are looking at an end-to-end Application, including app services, data, and infrastructure tiers. Azure migration services are there to help you for all scenarios – app migration, data migration and VM migration with new tools, services and a strong partner ecosystem.

To kick start your journey, on April 12th we released a new Azure TCO calculator. The tool enables you to understand initial cost comparison in migrating your on-premises workloads to Azure. Through one of three input mechanisms, you can model the cost of your on-premises physical and virtual servers. Further inputs for storage and networking usage offers deeper costing analysis, providing an initial comparison report to identify savings when moving your on-premises environment to Azure.

Getting stated is easy, simply choose the best way to input your sever and workload data

• Manual Import - the manual assessment enables you to enter in information about your server environment such as procs, cores and memory directly into the Azure TCO analysis tool.
  • Custom Import - custom inventory assessment enables you to use your existing discovery tools output, providing the Azure TCO calculator with the required data to enable the assessment.  In this scenario, you would use the custom inventory template provided by the Azure TCO tool, and import your existing data to this.
  • Automated discovery and import - the automated inventory assessment uses the Microsoft Assessment and Planning toolkit to automatically collect your server hardware configuration, and enable this for input into the Azure TCO tool.

You can access the new TCO tool at http://tco.microsoft.com/. Check out the complete Getting Started guide for a step-by-step screen captured walkthrough for using the TCO tool, including discovery and analysis. Also you can view this in action with our video tutorial. If you have any questions, issues or problems with the new TCO tool, make sure you post them here. We have experts on standby awaiting your question and will get back to you promptly!

I hope you see terrific value in the tools for migration to Azure. In the coming weeks, we will delve more into existing migration tools such as Azure Site Recovery, excellent partner offerings for discovery and right-sizing, as well as new serviced we are on the verge of announcing!

Many thanks

Michael Leworthy

6 Replies
Great to hear that !!! Thanks for your annoucement.
Great!!! Count with me!

Great Community! Hope to find answers regarding shifting AD joined devices to AAD joined devices.

Can someone help me with this scenario;

We are planning to move from on premise AD to Azure AD.

All colleagues have an Office 365 E3 account and will have added their Office 365 account to their device for Single Sign On and device registration.

What are the next steps and what happens to the user profile?

Disconnect from AD?

How can I get the logon screen after starting the device to log on as an Office 365 user?

Are the user profiles lost?

Is everybody still a member of the local administrators group as they where when AD joined?

Is the way to go WIndows ICD?

I know a lot of questions, but I hope someone can help me or guide me to a good resource.

Thanks a lot in advance! 

Hello Richard,

Congratulations on your planned move to the cloud. Your post raises a good number of related questions.

First, it sounds as if you created cloud-only accounts and did not synchronize user and group objects from the on premises AD using Azure AD Connect. Is that correct?  

In addition to Office 365 have you licensed (or do you plan to) EM+S, which includes Azure AD Premium and Intune? In a cloud-only scenario, Intune is the management point for your devices and the mechanism to deploy device policies.

What Operating System(s) are you running? And approximately how many devices are you managing: a few dozen, or a few thousand?

Without a more detailed understanding of your environment and goals, I hesitate to make any firm recommendations. May I suggest you read through a number of topics and post back to this forum?:

Azure AD Join for domain joined machines:  https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2016/02/17/azure-ad-domain-join-windows-10/

Azure AD Connect: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/connect/active-directory-aadconnect

AutoPilot for Windows 10: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-10-auto-pilot

Intunehttps://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/

Michael