Publishing Lab is taking days not hours

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am experiencing very slow publish times for my lab, and not the 1hr suggested. I have no way (that I am aware of) to track the progress of this process, is there such a feature? Also I see no errors or warnings to suggest there is an issue.

Timeline for information.

Thu 2nd September

14:56  – Lab publish started

19:08 – Publish still showing as in progress

23:32 – Template showing as unpublished but virtual machine pool still showing as “creating”

Fri 3rd September

09:40 - Template showing as unpublished but virtual machine pool still showing as “creating”

Sat 4th September

12:00 - Template showing as unpublished but virtual machine pool still showing as “creating”

Sun 5th September

09:25 - Template showing as unpublished but virtual machine pool still showing as “creating”

09:27 -  Start Publish again

21:37 - Lab showing as published.

After making some updates to the template this morning, I have again started the publish process, after 2 hours it is still in progress. 

Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

7 Replies
I should just add the Lab is located in UK South.

Hi Paul-

Sorry to hear that you're running into this issue. The only way to see the status of the lab VMs is to view the lab's Virtual Machine Pool tab as you already mentioned. One reason that can cause the VM pool to remain in a "Creating" state is when there isn't sufficient capacity within the region that you are in. You can try moving to a different region to see if you have a different result when publishing the lab. Otherwise, if the problem persists, I recommend logging a support ticket so that the engineering team can investigate further. Also, the time the time that it takes to publish a lab can vary depending on the size of the VM pool.  However, after 1 hour, I would expect that you should see some VMs that have finished creating.

Thanks,

Nicole

Hi @nicolehaugen I am having the same situation, I already opened a support case, while I get an answer, I would like to make a try to "moving to a different region" as you mention in your response, how can I do that? When I check the Lab Account in Azure Portal the region is read only. So, perhaps, do you mean create another Lab Account in other region, instead of moving the actual one?

Best!

Daniel

Hi Daniel - I will send you a direct message so that I can learn more about your specific scenario and lab needs.

Thanks,
Nicole
Thanks!

@Daniel Villacis @Paul-Greening @nicolehaugen I am also experiencing the same issues creating a template virtual machine. After an hour i'm still at the "This can take up to 20 minutes." stage.

Anyway to inspect/speed up the process?

@almmechanics my issue was that I had the auto shutdown configured as part of the template, which is not supported for linux (Ubuntu in my case). Once I remove that setting, it deployed the VM's in about 30 minutes. Hope this helps.