AZ Lab VMs to students

Copper Contributor

Hello,

If I created 35 AZ lab VMs and have 50 students that need to register. Are the VMs a one for one and any student after 35 cannot access the 35 VMs?

I'm having the issue with students getting an error message when first registering, "all virtual machines are claimed..." I check the list of VMs and there are only 2 started of the 35 total so in theory there should be 33 VMs available. Please Advise is any of you have seen this issue.

Best Regards,

Steven

1 Reply

Hi @StevenGonzalez ,

You shouldn't see a message that all VMs are claimed until all of the VMs have been registered\assigned to a student.  Using your example, if you have 35 VMs that you created, you will have 35 students that can register to use the lab successfully - when the 36th student attempts to register, they will see the error messaging saying that all VMs have been claimed.  At that point in time, you would need to increase the size of your VM pool to add new machines.  

Note that a VM is "claimed" when a user has registered and been assigned a VM (whether the VM is started\running, doesn't impact this).  

When you look under the Virtual Machine Pool tab for your lab, do you see 35 VMs listed there that are all shown as "unassigned"?  Or, do the 35 VMs show that they have been assigned\registered to a specific user's name?  

Also, how are you adding users to your lab - for example, are you using individual email addresses, AAD groups, or Teams?  The VM assignment\registration process varies depending on each of these.

Thanks,

Nicole