Migrate VM to Azure

Copper Contributor

I have a virtual machine running on standalone esxi and I do not have the access to the virtual host. but I have access to the VM which runs Windows Server. How can I migrate this to Azure? I have already tried using Starwind v2v and created 2 vhds (1 for OS and 1 for Data) and uploaded them to Azure. I created an image out of the OS disks and tried deploying a VM. It's been like 45 minutes now, but still it says the deployment in progress. If this does not work, what methods I can use to migrate the VM?

5 Replies
The deployment has failed

Hey,

Did you receive any errors after deployment failure? Are you trying to convert directly to Azure?
StarWind V2V Converter can be used for direct physical to cloud conversion (link removed by moderator)
In addition, our engineers will gladly help you on our forum.
(link removed by moderator)

Cheers,
Alex Bykovskyi
StarWind Software
Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Just as a heads-up, we don't allow external advertising here, as per our code of conduct, so we've removed the external links from this post. Please do not advertise in future posts - thanks for understanding and contributing to Tech Community.
If you prefer a more manual approach, you can use Azure PowerShell or Azure CLI to migrate the virtual machine. This involves creating a new Azure VM and copying the VHD files from your on-premises VM to Azure storage. You would then attach the VHDs to the new Azure VM and configure the necessary networking and settings.

Or you can use a use third-party, migration tools that can be used to directly migrate VMs to Azure, such as ShareGate, CloudFuze, Gs Richcopy360, and GoodSync , search all