SOLVED

Native Azure DevOps Server backup vs SQL Server

Copper Contributor

Hi the community!

I'm looking for official information about the difference between backups built via the Azure DevOps Server Administration Console and backup of databases using SQL maintenance plan.

Thanks in advance

Regards

6 Replies

@Ludo88 

You can use any one of it. At the end, Backup in TFS creates a job in SQL to schedule. It is more SQL activity.

If you have a DBA, its better he takes care of the backup\restore through a maintenance plan.

Any specific questions, let me know.

thanks @chanduvsc for your answer. I though that doing the backup via the Admin Console provide more guaranties. For instance, if i do my backups via SQL, I do "warm" backup. I had in mind that passing via le Admin Console bring more consistency in my backup.
So, I wanted to know. So, you do confirm that both systems provide the same results with same guaranties ?
Only one additional thing which you get from TFS backup is "marked transactions" by default. Where as in SQL, DBA has to take care of it while taking a backup for an online database.
meaning that we recommend to do backup via the Console ?
best response confirmed by Ludo88 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
No such recommendation. DBAs in general take care of Marked transactions when they take backups in SQL. All upto SQL DBA or TFS admin how they want to take backups.

Thanks @chanduvsc. It's really helpful ! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ludo88 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
No such recommendation. DBAs in general take care of Marked transactions when they take backups in SQL. All upto SQL DBA or TFS admin how they want to take backups.

View solution in original post