Migrating TFS2018 to ADO

Copper Contributor

Hey guys,

I am in the process of migrating TFS2018 to ADO. However I cannot find the TFS Migrator tool anywhere. The link provided on the MS website no longer has it available. Does anyone know where I can find it?

It was here previously https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54274 

Thanks!

4 Replies
The TFS Migrator tool, which is used to migrate data from TFS to Azure DevOps (formerly known as Visual Studio Team Services or VSTS), is no longer available for download from the Microsoft website. The tool was retired in 2019 and Microsoft no longer supports it.

Instead of using TFS Migrator, Microsoft recommends using the Azure DevOps Database Import service to migrate data from TFS to Azure DevOps. This service provides a supported, scalable, and more efficient way to migrate your data.

Here is the link for the Azure DevOps Database Import service documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/migrate/tfs-azure-devops-migration-overview?view=azure...

It is also recommended that you plan your migration and test the migration on a non-production environment before migrating your production data.

Please give like if it is helpful for you
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the link you sent, doesn't work!
Is there another one I can use?

Thanks!
I apologize for any confusion caused by my previous response. The TFS Migrator tool, which is used to migrate data from TFS to Azure DevOps (formerly known as Visual Studio Team Services or VSTS), is no longer available for download from the Microsoft website. The tool was retired in 2019 and Microsoft no longer supports it.

Instead, Microsoft recommends using the following alternatives to migrate your data:

Azure DevOps Database Import Service: This service allows you to import your TFS databases into Azure DevOps Server. This service is available for TFS 2017 and newer versions.

TFS Integration Platform: This is a free, open-source tool that allows you to migrate data between TFS and Azure DevOps.

Third-Party Migration Tools: There are many third-party migration tools available that can be used to migrate data from TFS to Azure DevOps.

It is important to carefully research and evaluate any third-party migration tools or services before using them, to ensure that they meet your needs and requirements, and that they are compatible with your version of TFS and Azure DevOps. Also, Microsoft recommends having a backup of your data before proceeding with any migration.

I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused, and please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with.

@varunmittal Do you have a working link for the "Azure DevOps Database Import Service" documentation? I cannot find that feature\service anywhere on my Azure DevOps 2022 Server. Thanks