Can I require work item tagged 'uxdesign' require a uxdesigner role approve it before merging?

Copper Contributor

Hi - I'm getting familiar with ADO and not sure if there's a way to do this...

My team has both developers and ux designers. If something a developer works on requires a visual or ux update, then one of the designers needs to be able to approve it before a pr gets merged. There's only two designers and either one of them can approve changes.

I'm thinking work items can be tagged with something like 'uxdesign' to note they require a visual or ux design change. Then is it possible to have a policy or rule that automatically notifies ux designers when a PR is submitted with that tag, and also require at least one team member with the role 'designer' approve the PR?

Any thoughts on how to achieve or similar workflow ideas appreciated!

1 Reply
Yes, it is possible to set up a workflow that automatically notifies UX designers when a pull request (PR) is submitted with a certain tag and requires approval from at least one team member with the role of 'designer.'

One way to achieve this is to use Azure DevOps' built-in pull request policies and custom tags. Here's a general outline of the steps you can take:

Create a custom tag in Azure DevOps that can be used to indicate when a PR requires UX design changes.
In your repository, create a pull request policy that requires the custom tag 'uxdesign' to be added to PRs that require UX design changes.
Create a pull request policy that requires at least one team member with the role of 'designer' to approve PRs that require UX design changes.
Set up notifications in Azure DevOps so that when a PR is submitted with the 'uxdesign' tag, the UX designers on the team are automatically notified.
You can also use Azure DevOps' built-in approval feature, and assign the approval to the group that represents the UX designers.

Additionally, you can use Azure DevOps' built-in code review feature, that allows you to assign reviewers to review a pull request, that way you will make sure that the UX designers will be reviewing the code changes that affects the UX.

This approach will allow you to automate the process and ensure that UX design changes are reviewed and approved by the appropriate team members before being merged.