Not able to install RDS CALs Per User License in Azure Windows 2019 VM

Brass Contributor

Hi

I have installed an Azure Windows Server 2019 VM and configured second user to RDP concurrently.
Things are working perfectly now, the default user and the second user is able to login concurrently.
Now I have configured 3rd user and he is able to login but I am getting the error like RDS services will stop in 112 days. So we have purchased per user license and enabled RDS role, selected RDS Licensing, RDS Gateway, RDS Session host. In the gpedit also we have enabled Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers – the address of the License Server is set;
and Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode – select RDS CAL license type.
So when I am going to RDS license manager and trying to activate the server it is not working.
Then we have raised a support ticket and the MSFT support guy somehow did something (he said he had an access to some portal where he can activate the license)
The server activation was over now we are not able to install the license.

The MSFT support guy is now saying that per user license cannot be installed in Azure VM because it is not domain joined.
The MSFT support guy is saying to buy per device license.

I am really confused in the license manager it is showing total licenses = unlimited and Issued = 0.
I am not sure whether the license is activated or not.

Please help me. I have also tried making this VM a DC and install the RDS CALs license its still now working. Please refer to the screenshots below.

I really need help because I have to complete this for a client and in the microsoft documentation I don't see any proper steps, they said do this do this but after doing its not working.

1 Reply
Only Per Device CALs work in a workgroup environment. Join the server to your domain in order to use Per User CALs that we already purchased.