SOLVED

Licensing

Silver Contributor

I have several clients who have purchased thousands of EM+S licenses, but they did not purchase a license for everyon of their employees i.e., they did not purchase licenses for employees that seldom use a computer.

What is the appropriate way to use and license ATA in this scenario?

7 Replies

EMS+ is all about identity Security and NOT pc/computer centric. One licens pr user. 

@Dean Gross wrote:

I have several clients who have purchased thousands of EM+S licenses, but they did not purchase a license for everyon of their employees i.e., they did not purchase licenses for employees that seldom use a computer.

What is the appropriate way to use and license ATA in this scenario?

Is that not an area where Advanced Threat Analytics doesn't quite fit though?

There is no way to exclude a user from monitoring, ATA is either 'on' or not.

Re-phrasing the question would be more - Does ATA under EM+S licensing license the organisation for ATA, or users. The product architecture doesn't provide any mechanism or methodology to restrict its operation based license availability, so unless the product is to be hobbled later to add that restriction, then surely any EM+S license activates a license for ATA for the whole organisation?

Some difinitive response from Microsoft would be good on this.

@Hadi Inja may help with the licensing inquiry.

for all other user that have no EM+S you can purchase a

Standalone license - Open L&SA

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/advanced-threat-analytics-pricing

Hi Dean,

As mentioned by Peter, the ATA product does not have flexability with regards to number of licensed seats. The licensing requirment is to have a valid license for each human user in the active-directory domain that ATA is monitoring/protecting. If the organization have seperate domain for subset of the users, they can deploy ATA to only monitor those subset domains, however, from security point of view, this is not recommended as the recommended way is to deploy ATA on all domains in the forest.

There is an option to purchase standalone licsense for the delta of the users that does not have EMS and/or ECAL licsense.

Hope this answer your question,

Ophir.

Thanks for confirming my understanding and fear. I'm familiar with the EMS licensing approach, what do you mean by an ECAL license?

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

ECALs (Enterprise CAL Suite) are licsense part of Enterprise Agreement and ATA is included on those as well.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

ECALs (Enterprise CAL Suite) are licsense part of Enterprise Agreement and ATA is included on those as well.

View solution in original post