Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

Trusted IPs for MFA

Silver Contributor

I added an IP range to MFA, but I'm still getting prompted. How can I troubleshoot this? How long does it take for the settings to go into effect?

4 Replies
For me the setting was active almost directly. At least within minutes.

What is the best way to determine the IP range that should be used?

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi Dean,

you have to keep in mind that for your setting to work you'll have to set external IPs as trusted IPs for MFA. So for example when you access your resources from within your company's network you don't have to use MFA whereas you will need to authenticate via second factor when accessing from outside of your company. Just as Nils mentioned your settings should be active almost instantly.

Regards,

Tom 

Either check some webservice (google: my ip address) while you're at work, or talk to the IT/Network team and let them tell you the public IP range (ip+subnetmask bits) if you're using more than one IP address.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi Dean,

you have to keep in mind that for your setting to work you'll have to set external IPs as trusted IPs for MFA. So for example when you access your resources from within your company's network you don't have to use MFA whereas you will need to authenticate via second factor when accessing from outside of your company. Just as Nils mentioned your settings should be active almost instantly.

Regards,

Tom 

View solution in original post