Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

No password, phone sign in for Microsoft accounts!

Microsoft

Forgot your password? No problem. Now you can sign in without needing to remember a complicated string of characters, just using your phone!

Phone sign-in for Microsoft accounts is now generally available. Add your account to our Authenticator app, enter your username and receive a notification on your phone. Once you approve the notification, you’re in! No password needed, and much more secure.

approvesignin.jpg

Read more about it in the Enterprise Mobility and Security Blog.

6 Replies
I've been using it and love it!!

Yeah... this:

[Update 4/18/17 3:08pm Pacific: A few people have asked if this works with Windows Phone version Microsoft Authenticator. Windows Phone makes up <5% of the active users of our Authenticator Apps so we have prioritized getting this working with iOS and Android for now. If/When it becomes a big success on those high scale platforms, we will evaluate adding support for Windows Phone.]

Not cool, not cool at all.

Hi Mary,

Great news!

But our clients and us internally use Windows Phone as the business phone.

This is just for cosnumer Microsoft Accounts for now (outlook.com, hotmail.com etc) not business accounts Office 365-Azure AD (work or school accounts). 

Vasil,

It doesn't work on my Nokia 3310 either, so they should develop it for that too. Windows Phone is barely used, so why bother extending development efforts to it?

Maybe because a lot of organizations actually made the switch to WP once MS bought Nokia's mobile business and made some promises around it? :)

Even back then, there was barely any attention given to Microsoft's own platform from the different dev teams. I cannot even recall how many times we've heard the "wait for WP10, wait for UWP" excuse. We waited, and now the platform is dead, because if even your own devs dont want to release apps for it, who will...

But anyway, it's about time I ditch my WP :)