SOLVED

Login with a local user account on Azure AD joined Windows 10 machine

Brass Contributor

Hi all, I have a spare laptop here that I lend out to staff and visitors (if they need to present, etc). It's AAD joined, which is okay for staff. But for visitors, I would like to use a local account so they can't access resources, etc. Is it possible to log in with a local user account on an AAD joined Windows 10 machine? Or are there any other suggestions to handle this situation?

5 Replies

It is. Just remember to actually create the local account, as no such will exist if you join the device to AAD via the OOTB experience :)

best response confirmed by Simon_L (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Actually, I figured it out. You can create a local account the "old" way, and then to login with it, you need to add the prefix "local\"

e.g. local\administrator
Thanks for the solution. Why didn't I think of that; it only makes sense, right?
We tried this solution but still get the user name or password is incorrect. We are trying to use our LAN Only admin ID's on Azure AD joined devices but it is not recognizing them and give an error of bad username or password.

@Kevin_Hodges "local" may or may not work, but using .\ will, where the . symbol is a wildcard that represents the local machine. You should be able to notice the domain that you are logging into at the bottom of the Windows login screen change to the hostname of the PC. Additionally, by this same logic, you can type the hostname\username to login. Hostnames of PCs can be found in the system info "device name" or from CMD by typing hostname by itself and hitting enter.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Simon_L (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Actually, I figured it out. You can create a local account the "old" way, and then to login with it, you need to add the prefix "local\"

e.g. local\administrator

View solution in original post