Can FSMO roles be transferred to a non Global Catalog server?

Copper Contributor

Hello! I have a question.

Can FSMO roles be transferred to a non-Global Catalog server?

If the non-Global Catalog server holds the Infrastructure master role can it also hold the other 4 roles as a non GC or do I need to make it a GC.

If I need to make it a GC will enabling GC cause any negative effect?

Thanks in advance,

Theaxehax

1 Reply

@theaxehax as per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/223346/fsmo-placement-and-optimization-on-active-directory-...

• Place the schema master on the PDC of the forest root domain.
  • Place the domain naming master on the forest root PDC.
  • Place the RID master on the domain PDC in the same domain.

Legacy guidance suggests placing the infrastructure master on a non-global catalog server. There are two rules to consider:

• Single domain forest:

In a forest that contains a single Active Directory domain, there are no phantoms. Therefore, the infrastructure master has no work to do. The infrastructure master may be placed on any domain controller in the domain, regardless of whether that domain controller hosts the global catalog or not.
  • Multidomain forest:

If every domain controller in a domain that is part of a multidomain forest also hosts the global catalog, there are no phantoms or work for the infrastructure master to do. The infrastructure master may be put on any domain controller in that domain. In practical terms, most administrators host the global catalog on every domain controller in the forest.
  • If every domain controller in a given domain that is located in a multidomain forest does not host the global catalog, the infrastructure master must be placed on a domain controller that does not host the global catalog.

Hopefully this will help you somewhat in your question.

Regards,

Viktor