Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Azure Active Directory Seamless Single Sign On - Are you using this? Release timeline?

Copper Contributor

Hello, so I know there was one other discussion announcing this being available in preview starting last Decemember. 

Do any of you currently have this turned on for your tennant? What has the experience been like?

Additionally, is there anyone from Microsoft that has details on the full release timeline for this feature?

Here is a full link to the setup article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/connect/active-directory-aadconnect-sso

We were looking at doing ADFS but it looks like this will solve the issues we need to resolve without all the extra work that comes with ADFS. 

5 Replies

"When it's ready" is the answer we usually get to that question :) @Nasos Kladakis might be able to share something more this time perhaps? :)

Nothing specific to share for timelines(other than we are close) but i hope you saw this blog post that came out today:

New Enhancements to the Azure AD Pass Through Authentication Preview are live!

And it had that specifically for Seamless single sign-on

"Seamless single sign-on gives users on your corporate network the ability to access cloud apps from their domain-joined devices without needing to re-enter their passwords. This feature uses Kerberos authentication instead.We simplified the end user sign-on experience by removing the need for your users to enter their usernames when they access cloud apps with tenant-specific URLs (like outlook.office365.com/owa/contoso.com)."

Which is cool indeed, but does it equal full "smart links" support, such as the one we have with AD FS? I know you have been receiving a lot of complaints about this, currently it looks like the only major roadblock for organizations that want to ditch AD FS in favor of PTA/SSO.

Will Exchange ActiveSync be supported before GA is a key question from some of my clients?

I can't provide a solid answer on this one so maybe someone from Microsoft can chime in. But from my knowledge ActiveSync is going away over the next 4 years and is being replaced by Modern Authentication so I wouldn't guess that ActiveSync would come into play with this technology.