Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Google Authenticator app & Office 365 MFA

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to use the Google Authenticator iOS app with Office 365 MFA instead of the Microsoft Authenticator app?

I tried adding to Google Authenticator with both QR code and manually but got failures each time.

25 Replies

No, as it only supports Google's MFA, afaik.

Yet both should just implement RFC6238 and RFC4226. Does either Microsoft or Google's app add anything proprietary to the TOTP and HMAC standards? 

No true, you are not forced to install MS Authenticator, You can without problem use Google Authenticator, but you need to display the "Secret" key:

In screen with QRCode to scan there is a small blue link "Setup application without notifications" (sorry don't exactly know if this is proper translation for it) , click it and you'll get the secret, then just type it into G Authenticator and you're set :) (You don't have to type the full account name, this is for you to identify it only).

--- edit after 15min ---

Ps. I just set-up on my new phone GAuthenticator for 3 company O365 accounts :)

Does this still work? I don't see any link to "Setup application without notifications".

its there. (hope you arent looking in the google app). Setup works like a charm! Thanks

Works perfect. Saved me from one more app installation.

Thanks.

Glad I saw this thread. Man, they really make it difficult. "Set up app without notifications" (whatever that means) instead of "Use another app besides Microsoft Authenticator"

Grrr.....

So, it appears that you can use Google Authenticator or Authy with Office 365 but only if you choose to "Use verification code from app" instead of the much more convenient "Receive notifications for verification" which pushes a notification to the authenticator app on your device.  Shame Authy/Google Authenticator can't handle the push notification from Office 365 because most people only want one authenticator app on their phone. I wonder whose at fault here?

On the ihrer Hand, there is something missing. What if you never want to loose access, wouldn‘t it be clever, to add another totp provider, like keePassXC or just a second device with a totp app? If you consider your phone at risk of getting lost or Brocken/unaccessable? MS only supports phone numbers as backup there...
Can‘t find the edit button, ihrer=other, Brocken=broken
sent with mobile device<—

Truth is, Office 365 should support a variety of multi-factor authentication options - Google Authenticator, Duo, Yubico etc.  MFA for O365 wont get wide spread adoption until they support more than just their own multi factor option.

@Przemyslaw W wrote:

No true, you are not forced to install MS Authenticator, You can without problem use Google Authenticator, but you need to display the "Secret" key:

In screen with QRCode to scan there is a small blue link "Setup application without notifications" (sorry don't exactly know if this is proper translation for it) , click it and you'll get the secret, then just type it into G Authenticator and you're set :) (You don't have to type the full account name, this is for you to identify it only).

Thank you, that was the key for me. For anyone else wondering, this is the process for setting up 2/MFA with any OTP app (I use andOTP:(

1. Open the security verification page for your user: https://aka.ms/MFASetup
  2. Check the Authenticator app box, and click the Configure button.
  3. Click the Configure app without notifications URL
  4. Now scan the QR code with your app and configure like normal.

It seems like Microsoft really go out of their way to obscure the fact that you don't actually need Microsoft Authenticator to use this factor for authentication.

Indeed, that is the way to use Authy!
Many thanks

But, I'm unable to scan the barcode using google authenticator.

Getting: "cannot interpret QR code".

Seems that the QR code only works with MS authenticator...

I just used the QR code with the Google Authenticator.

Thanks for the procedure
Thank you this solved it for me!

Was able to get Google Authenticator to work, make sure you are selecting the (small) blue hyperlink in the lower right corner next to the QR code.  After you click the link, there is a slight change in the text in step 1 that states "Install the Microsoft Authenticator or any other app for Windows Phone, Android, or iOS."  I was then able to scan the QR code in Google Authenticator and complete the registration.

It works like a charm! However, this option is rather discreet for normal users to detect, lol.