SOLVED

B2B and SPO

Copper Contributor

Hi

We have tried to manually create guest users in the new Azure Portal. When we do it that way, we are apparently not able to grant the guest users access to SPO sites. But if we create the users via CSV file import in the old Azure Portal, there are no problems granting them access to the same sites.

Have we misunderstood something, or is it by design?

Thanks

Jakob

9 Replies

Hi Jakob

Did you just "create" guest users, or actually invite them?  I understand you still need to invite them so they can redeem the invitation - this leads to a usable account, I think.

We use PowerShell code to invite the users - the "New-AzureADMSInvitation" commandlet.

Thanks

Joe 

Hi Joe

You can create guest users, using the new Azure Portal. It is a relatively new feature. It's the same process as when you create internal users, except you specify them ad "Guest User". But when we create guest users this way, they do not show up in the people picker in SharePoint Online.

The guest users we create by importing a CSV-file in the old Azure Portal, do show up in the people picker.

Regards

Jakob

Ah, I didn't know thatwas available - can't answer, then.

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi Jakob

According to this doc this is by design https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-b2b-faq. See the question about SPO people picker:

Are B2B collaboration guest users visible in SharePoint Online/OneDrive people picker?

Yes! However, the ability to search for existing guest users in the SharePoint Online people picker is OFF by default to match legacy behavior. You can enable this using the setting 'ShowPeoplePickerSuggestionsForGuestUsers' at the tenant and site collection level. This can be set using the Set-SPOTenant and Set-SPOSite cmdlets, which allow members to search all existing guest users in the directory. Changes in the tenant scope do not affect already provisioned SharePoint Online sites.

So all you need to do it to run the above mentioned cmdlets to see the added users in the picker.

Thank you Pawel! Jakob - can you please confirm this works for you?

Thanks. We will test, and get back to you asap.

I don't see -ShowPeoplePickerSuggestionsForGuestUsers for either cmdlet - does anyone else?

Yes, I do. And I have tested it and it works as expected.

I see it now!  Looks like I needed to re-download SPO powershell.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Hi Jakob

According to this doc this is by design https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-b2b-faq. See the question about SPO people picker:

Are B2B collaboration guest users visible in SharePoint Online/OneDrive people picker?

Yes! However, the ability to search for existing guest users in the SharePoint Online people picker is OFF by default to match legacy behavior. You can enable this using the setting 'ShowPeoplePickerSuggestionsForGuestUsers' at the tenant and site collection level. This can be set using the Set-SPOTenant and Set-SPOSite cmdlets, which allow members to search all existing guest users in the directory. Changes in the tenant scope do not affect already provisioned SharePoint Online sites.

So all you need to do it to run the above mentioned cmdlets to see the added users in the picker.

View solution in original post