Azure AD Cloud sync and exchange

Iron Contributor

Hi all

I have a customer who's moved all of his mailboxes to EOP. AADConnect is still set to enable Hybrid Exchange mode

Since he is only using the exchange server to mailbox enable users and create Distribution groups etc. what would the impact be of disabling Hybrid mode and converting him over to cloud sync rather than AADConnect? Would they still need an Exchange server on premises to manage the exchange attributes of the users or can that now be done O365?

2 Replies
The reason why you need an Exchange server in such scenarios is that the only *supported* way to manage Exchange-related objects and attributes is via the Exchange management tools. Every configuration that involves having to make the changes in AD has this requirement, regardless whether it's AAD Connect or cloud sync. That is assuming you want to stay in a *supported* configuration, if you don't care about that part either one can be used without actually having an Exchange box.
Thanks Vasil. I thought that was the case but I just wanted to check if anything had changed. The requirement for an on premises Exchange server even when you are not in hybrid exchange mode really peeves a lot of my customer