What is your local Cryptid?

Community Manager

With Halloween only a few days away, it seems like the perfect time to have a conversation about cryptids!

If you've never heard of a cryptid before, a cryptid is a creature or plant whose existence has been suggested but is not recognized by scientific consensus. Well known examples include the Yeti in the Himalayas, the Loch Ness Monster in Scotland, and Sasquatch in North America.

To find out what your local cryptid is, Bing or Google search your town, country, or region + cryptid.

My local cryptid is Champy, or Champ, located in greater New York state. With sightings dating all the way back to the 17th century, this mysterious aquatic creature has become more than just a local legend. Champy is said to be roaming the depths of Lake Champion with its extremely long snake-like body and a horse-like head.

EmilyPerina_0-1666810566584.jpeg

Share your local or favorite Cryptid below!

6 Replies

@EmilyPerina I'm in Seattle, WA, so I'll go with Bigfoot!

R.jpg

A classic cryptid!

@EmilyPerina Washington state is part of the PNW so Sasquatch, but we also uniquely have Batsquatch, a nine-foot-tall bluish-purple ape with blazing yellow eyes, and enormous bat wings that emerged after the eruption of Mt. Saint Helens.

HeatherPoulsen_0-1666816218193.jpeg

Batsquatch-570x306.jpg

Hi @EmilyPerina 

In my country in Europe is Krakow, and there apparently lived

Wawel Dragon
a legendary dragon living at the foot of Krakow's Wawel Hill in a cave called the Dragon's Den.

Kraków ~ Turystyka (tomaszsienkiewicztir.blogspot.com)

Batsquatch sounds absolutely terrifying
I've never heard of this one before! So cool!