We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

@HotCakeX 

I did there is a reason he is not getting over very trustworthy. He lives and is controlled now by Russia. He does not have the balls to stand up for his believes. I have respect for the TG soldier (forgot her name at the moment). She was willing to take the consequences for her actions. With Snowden's actions, he has a lot of dead people on his name. Lots of information he stole had nothing to do with the abuse some in the NSA did.  That is now all in Russia's hand's lots of people got killed because of that. For me, he is nothing more than a traitor and a coward. If he wanted to bring out the abuse in the NSA he should have taken the data selectively. Like the other soldier did. Remember now Manning is her name.

Read the book and see if you still think of Putin and the FSB are such innocent people you seem to think they are. I personally have been followed by FSB agents. Talked to high ranking people in Russia. They are terrified to talk to you for more than a few minutes. They were drunk and still worried to death about the FSB people all around the ballroom. That is a great way to live, to be afraid for your life from your own government. I don't think we have that problem here.

Snowden is a Hero, he had the guts to leave all of his good life and all the money he was getting from his job and go live abroad just to tell the truth to the people in the world.
Russia is either equal to US or better.
you talk about FSB and I can say more about CIA, none of them are better than the other. don't think the west is angel and the east is evil, that's the biggest lie.
It's bigger than the scope of this topic anyway.
I have been a programmer for 25 years, and let me tell you folks this is not a political forum. Go make your case in Facebook and let's deal with the issue that you can't drag a website to your desktop.
Merry Christmas!
Agreed lol Merry Christmas!
( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thanks kirk i am really happy to join you all i wil take a bit of time to read but i will do my best to give you new iders and hoping to lean alot of new ider sorrry for some of my faults i am french 

@Elliot Kirk 

For me the biggest thing I would like to see is inking returning. although this won't affect most people who don't have a touchscreen or use the function, the best thing for me was being able to markup and annotate web pages in Edge using the Microsoft Pen. 

First you went and changed the Pen so it was no longer possible to select a section of text simply by gliding over it (you can still do so by holding the button in on the Pen but it's far more fiddly to do so), then to add insult to injury you removed the very useful pocket clip AND doubled the price of the Pen. (I note there were other improvements but only really useful to those in design work). 

Now inking has gone too, though I'm sure it's in the pipeline for a reappearance at some point, but for me it's been a massive backward step removing the aforementioned Pen functionality, and now reinventing the browser but without what for me was one of it's best features. Almost feels like we're going backwards, uninventing these features and functions.  

@TechPotato 

Chrome has Google integration so why shouldn't Microsoft be allowed to have Bing integration? You can choose your default search engine, and even your own start page. 

I agree with you, for a final and first stable version release, they should have at least waited until the new Edge gets all the same features and functionalities as Edge classic and then released it, probably few months later.

@Elliot Kirk webkitSpeechRecognition does start, but never triggers response.

@Elliot Kirk Autoplay on Homepages for embeded videos is a Microsoft flagship feature and I'm glad to see it "so far" continued in the chromium environment. What if edge were also the only "worldwide accepted browser" that autoplayed videos on cell phones, tablets & chromebooks. Why it would be like watching TV on your PC! 

Bojour!

What's Trust media exactly about?

@HotCakeXTrust Media is my multimedia broadcasting station located in Hastings Minnesota, my creative outlet. Thank You for asking! - Shawn Lee Farrell

Cool

Hi @Elliot Kirk A change log when Edge is updated would be useful. I enjoy being an Insider because I like to have early access to new features, and I like to be part of its development. However, if we knew what had changed with each update, then we could make a point of checking those things out and providing feedback. Couldn't a change log be shown on the Settings page once the browser has been restarted following an update, or at least a link to the information?

I'm using Canary as my only browser and I'm loving, but when are we going to get full (as per Edge legacy) PDF facilities? For me, Xodo is the perfect (free) PDF app, so if Edge can provide the same level then I'm an instant convert!

Happy New Year, and keep up the good work!

Currently only Dev and Beta channels get official change log posts.
Canary also gets change log posts but it comes from us users :)

@Elliot Kirk 

Hey!

Love the new browser! Actually I think it's gonna be the best one!

I had a problem when I wanted to read text in Hebrew via PDF "Note - Comments":

clipboard_image_0.png

I think you need to enable Unicode characters for future languages as well.

Also, got some important points to make on the "New Edge (2020)" experience I had when reading PDF files:

• "The Table of Contents" is perfect in "The Current Edge (2019)".

(see example:)

clipboard_image_1.png

and in the "Newer Beta Version of Edge (2020)"  this table is gone!

• This is more of an opinion advice:

When selecting text, it just looks weird on the "Newer Beta Version of Edge (2020)",

and it is very much disturbing me from reading.

clipboard_image_2.png

and it the "The Current Edge (2019)" it looks perfectly fine:

clipboard_image_3.png

• This Is a VERY important note, which makes Microsoft Edge an exceptional browser for PDF readings in my perspective:

Its PDFs are editable with "Highlights" and "Note - Comments" - and they are Very accessible.

clipboard_image_4.png

The user can make different colors of "Highlights" or "Note - Comments" as fast as possible and with ease.

This is why I personally Always came back to reading PDFs in Microsoft Edge; and this is what I think makes it stand out from other browsers.

While in the "Newer Beta Version of Edge (2020)"  this feature is gone!

Thank you for your attention, and I hope I helped!

Tal Jacob

@Elliot Kirk 

Do not forget SET A SIDE fuctionality from the old edge browser

@AkkiDev @Elliot Kirk I concur. I really miss Set Aside Tabs. Even if it's not in the first stable release (which I know it won't), please put it on the list.

Thanks for all the hard work you and the team are putting into the new Edge!

Dan

Well stable was released and no set aside tab feature is with it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

that feature is still under review though