We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

Hi @1080P, I want to make sure that I understand the issue fully.  The Language Learning with Netflix extension installs successfully, but when you use it, on 1080P content the subtitles are either missed by the extension or are missing entirely.  This works properly when the videos are at 720P though.  Is this correct?  It may be a bug with the way sub-titles are handled by the PlayReady DRM software, and I can check with that team.  Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk  As someone who's always preferred  and used Edge, I like a lot of changes to the browser. Facebook actually works without crashing every two minutes and the performance is better. However, I'm not totally on board with a few changes. For one, I miss the how unique Edge looked, now it looks a lot like Chrome and Firefox. But one thing I really miss is the option to run a downloaded file without saving it. Not having that is almost a deal breaker for me. I would really appreciate it if the feature is brought back. 

@Surya05 @Elliot Kirk 

Elliot, I'm just going to give this one another vote of support.  In regard to downloads the MUST be RUN, SAVE & CANCEL.  But, also, there MUST be SAVE AS.  It is a really, unnecessary & aggravating pain having to move DLs from the DL folder to where WE, actually, want them to be or go... remember, certain (named) folders for certain things that belong there.

This one wouldn't be open for debate or discussion.  DLs cannot be without the above mechanics.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 @Elliot Kirk

Thanks for your first reply.

In the new Edge,
right arrow key does not call the next subtitle but it calls current subtitle.
left arrow key does not call the previous subtitle but it calls current, the previous or earlier.
LLN does not recognize each subtitle. Somehow, subtitles are invisibly grouped by two~five subtitles and left arrow key calls the first subtitle of the invisible group instead of the previous subtitle.

So I can not study and practice line by line exactly in Edge though I want 1080P or more because Chrome's inferior resolution distracts me.

I'm happy to read your positive progress reply.
I will wait the next, Thanks.

@Elliot Kirk 

I have all three versions of Chredge on my 2016 Macbook Pro, and since the newest update of the Dev channel, it's been doing my searches using Bing, even though my default search engine is Google which I like using more, has been taking WAY longer to load pages, and signing me out of my Google account randomly! This is confusing me and needs fixing. I love the new versions of Edge, but please fix this.

Thanks!

@Surya05 @Elliot Kirk I'd upvote this one. Absolutely, MUST have Save As.

@Elliot Kirk Hi, while the new Edge does improve on the old one, I don't get why some of the useful features are removed. Like the option to run a downloaded file without saving and the extremely useful option to set tabs aside. I really miss the option to set aside tabs that I can use later 

@Surya05 

Hi Surya,

The Edge Features so many people are mentioning have not been removed.  They are not in, YET.  One specific that I know 1st hand, the Team IS aware of the need for Run/Save/Cancel.  They are, also, aware of "The List" of items being mentioned repeatedly by person after person.  They are working on the stuff. We are with the understanding that it is all coming, albeit, piecemeal.  I grant you it's troubling, a real concern when this stuff appears to be 'missing', ignored or neglected.   But, it's like the fun of Christmas & discovering each new thing under the tree or in the toe of a stocking.  Never know what "Oh, good we have that, now." will be there next.  It has been suggested it'll all be there by the time Edge C goes GA or Stable Gold or whatever the non-Insider, non-beta release is tagged.  It's a big, job to have it all right & appealing, must be done in steps & layers and it DO take time!  You, always, will see things in Canary the earliest.

That said, do keep letting the Team know what the 'Must-haves' are, here or via Feedback.  The more similar comments they receive the better.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk 

Although these may already be in development, I'll repeat my vote for Run & Open in addition to Save & Save As as well as Set Aside tabs.

In my work environment, there is often a need to access (Run or Open) a file/document just once and I do not need it saved in a Download or other folder. It also encourages the behavior to work from shared documents (Teams or SharePoint) instead of perpetuating the habit of downloading personal copies. It also prevents clutter in the Downloads or other folder from one-time access.

The Set Aside tabs feature feels like a natural way to temporarily "remember" pages to revisit. Having worked only a little with Collections, Set Aside seems simpler and more natural for basic follow up.

Absolutely agree 100% both in principle and details. :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone
Hey, where was the notification about what was happening with this giant update/change. Looks like I have to spend a fair amount of time untangling what is happening to my life rather than browsing the internet. At least I have found my mail!!!!

I love the new Edge Chromium. I quit using Chrome and went to Edge, primarily to block videos. Will you be adding a video blocking? I cannot deal with all the videos on some pages. @Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk

Are there plans to integrate Edge Chromium with AD and GPOs? In my organization, I need the ability to control settings globally across 15,000 users. Proxy, plugins, etc. 

@Elliot Kirk i would think we have to (without delay) start developing Extensions and themes in Edge store it will give more advantage ,variety and power to Edge chromium browser. 

@ms4132 @Elliot Kirk @Drew1903 I fully agree. Set Aside Tabs is an absolute must! If not that explicitly, some way to save and easily open a specific group of tabs. Perhaps different browser configurations.

Also, and I don't know if this would be in your area or in another, but when I encounter a link, I'd like to have a context menu to "open with," like other apps do--such as photos or other pictures.

@Drew1903 As a side note, do you know the purpose of Install this site as an app? I see that it gives it an icon to open it separately from other sites, but is there something more to it, or is that all it is--an easy way to get to a site without going into the browser?

@Dan_AI4GK 

Rt Clk links to context menu to "open with,"

Yes, Dan, this is another such "must include as per Edge item".  Good mention!  Please, submit it to Mr. Smiley :smile: & or to Edge Insider Support.  Thanks.

It's the same as Run/Open/Save & Save as had to be mentioned.  I mean, really?  Would not think having to say "Save, alone, is incomplete!" would be necessary.

And maybe, it isn't (necessary), but, nobody has any way of knowing that, no ESP and blind good-faith doesn't come naturally. Ergo people do & will say, "Hey, this or that is missing, fix it."

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Dan_AI4GK 

Yes, Dan, that's pretty much it.  It, whatever it is, now is treated like an app, behaves & looks like one.  And is outside of a browser.  The 'big deal' is it ends up independent, just it alone... no web page stuff.  Of course, many things, already, are available as apps... for example Twitter from the Store.  It's the same thing as 'web Twitter' but, clean, pure Twitter & its own window, no browser needed or involved.  Frankly, (to me) it makes sense or is cool for something like Twitter, but, not for web sites, in general.  You wouldn't convert everything, arbitrarily, certainly.  But, for certain things, it can be preferred.

Cheers,
Drew 
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 I'm glad you agree. Done and done. Mr. Smiley and Feedback!
The OneNote integration with the Edge is really a must-have feature for the Edge insider.
i know there is the OneNote web clipper extension
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/onenote-web-clipper/gojbdfnpnhogfdgjbigejoaolejmgdhk

but that tight integration is something entirely different.