We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

@Drew1903 

No worries. Speed is of course also very dependent on how you use the browser and also quite subjective. Personally I´ve always really enjoyed how smooth and responsive Edge has been when using touch in particular but also scrolling in general, but I can certainly see that people whose use case perhaps is more dependent on general rendering speed or javascript performance might have a completely different perception. 

I think the new edge is coming along nicely and as a developer I look forward to even less browser sepecific css- and js-hacks (even though Edge for us already was fairly problem free). I do wish they would keep the look-and-feel more like Edge. I find the return to rounded corners everywhere a bit too retro and not really in keeping with modern windows style. But it seems most people on this forum at least don´t agree with me on that :)

Cheerio,

Magnus

Hi

When are you going to open source the old EdgeHTML renderer? I know you are putting a lot of effort into this but the last thing the world needs is another Chromium skin. I would prefer it if you had put the effort into Gecko or Servo.

Also will this be completely uninstallable? I would prefer not to have a version of Chrome on my system. I would rather not contribute to Google's domination of the web.

Thanks
New Edge is just another chrome skin so I am sticking with Firefox
They have to rebuild it as old edge is a UWP app and doesn't work on anything except Windows 10.
I have to admit and agree having anything to do with Chrome and Google is certainly unsettling unappealing. There are reasons many of us have and use Windows and Edge... Because we like and prefer THEM! Take the hint.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from my Windows Phone
Somehow I would like you to consider using the reading list. Without the reading list i may as well use google chrome. Thanks

@Hippo3874 

Yes, will 2nd that; another Must-have, Must-keep!

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk Hi,

I just installed Edge Canary on macOS Mojave and I have a few quick thoughts, with the first one being vital/crucial/life-changing:

1. Please get rid of the "hold Command Q to quit" thing. This is not native to macOS and isn't present anywhere in the OS. Just revert back to the classic Cmd+Q to quit and Cmd+W to close a window.

2. Improve speed. I'm seeing stuttering while scrolling, even on light webpages.

@Elliot Kirk Dear Mr Kirk. Thank you for setting up this discussion forum. Please convey my sincere condolences regarding the early death of Mr Paul Allen to Mr Paul Allen's Sister and to Mr Paul Allen's Family, which in a way includes very many people inside and outside of Microsoft Inc. Also please convey my sincere condolences to the

@Moridin 

Smooth scrolling is coming.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Sir_Stef2005 

And, also, the same from myself, please, Elliot.  THANKS!

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk So far I really like this version of Edge much more than last. It's snappy and fast

I usually use 2 browser which is Firefox and Chrome for a difference usage, even though I really try to like Edge. Now if this newer version of Edge can get even better, it may change to Firefox and Edge sooner than I expect.

Now, there were 2 reason why I jumped out from Edge.

One, the tab constantly crash and vanish when I tried to rearrange tab. On top of that, it still run in background if I check it from Task Manager so I need to close the whole Edge.

Two, the bookmark system legacy from IE was awful. It was hard to navigate and manage.

With this new chromium based Edge, issue number one seems like gone. I've been browsing smoothly, hopefully it will stay that way or maybe even better. I remember the beta Edge when it first came out was okay and the performance fell afterward in each update.

The second issue, while it is better now and similar to how Chrome bookmark system is, it still far more inferior to what Firefox have. If Microsoft can take a note at how Firefox do it, you will have more edge than Chrome (pun intended).

I haven't use this new Edge version to access all sites I usually visit, but there is another thing Microsoft team can iron out. Power Usage for laptop user.

Compared to Firefox, this new Edge use more RAM and power usage even though I only open 3 tabs of this forum while Firefox open all my work tabs including news site with notorious ads. The power usage occasionally jump to High too which will make me think twice to use it in battery mode.

That is all from me for now

A2.PNG

@Elliot Kirk So far I really like this version of Edge much more than last. It's snappy and fast

I usually use 2 browser which is Firefox and Chrome for a difference usage, even though I really try to like Edge. Now if this newer version of Edge can get even better, it may change to Firefox and Edge sooner than I expect.

Now, there were 2 reason why I jumped out from Edge.

One, the tab constantly crash and vanish when I tried to rearrange tab. On top of that, it still run in background if I check it from Task Manager so I need to close the whole Edge.

Two, the bookmark system legacy from IE was awful. It was hard to navigate and manage.

With this new chromium based Edge, issue number one seems like gone. I've been browsing smoothly, hopefully it will stay that way or maybe even better. I remember the beta Edge when it first came out was okay and the performance fell afterward in each update.

The second issue, while it is better now and similar to how Chrome bookmark system is, it still far more inferior to what Firefox have. If Microsoft can take a note at how Firefox do it, you will have more edge than Chrome (pun intended).

I haven't use this new Edge version to access all sites I usually visit, but there is another thing Microsoft team can iron out. Power Usage for laptop user (see image below).

Compared to Firefox, this new Edge use more RAM and power usage even though I only open 3 tabs of this forum while Firefox open all my work tabs including news site with notorious ads. The power usage occasionally jump to High too which will make me think twice to use it in battery mode.

That is all from me for nowA2.PNG

I am using Edge on Mac OS (ver 10.13 High Sierra). When I visited my own website, https://www.2connectme.com, it prompted me error of insecure site. Please see the attached error screen prompted.

However, they are all with valid https certificate and no such error prompted in the Chrome, Safari and Firefox.

Where are the causes of the issue?

Best Regards,

KS Man

I am using Edge on Mac OS (ver 10.13 High Sierra). When I visited my own website, https://www.2connectme.com, it prompted me error of insecure site. Please see the attached error screen prompted.

However, they are all with valid https certificate and no such error prompted in the Chrome, Safari and Firefox.

Where are the causes of the issue?

Best Regards,

KS Man

For what it's worth, I went to your website on Canary and Dev builds and did not get an "Unsafe" message. Looking at your screenshot, it's from Microsoft Defender, not Edge. Someone seems to have reported your site as containing viruses or spyware. I think it's a separate issue from Edge.

@Dan_AI4GK 

Thanks for your quick response.

I just checked my website under Edge (Mac OS) again. I still had such issue and tried to report the site as safe in the Defender. However, it does not allow me to go to that site for reporting safe site after clicking such link. Just no response.

Though the issue may not be related to Edge, Defender is also Microsoft product. In fact, I did not find such issue in the past old Edge browser on Window 10. It appeared to me that the issue some how related to the latest Edge (Mac). 

@Elliot Kirk found out about this initiave last night, really love it. 

Some things I'd like to check though:

1. Will it be possible in the future to sign into sync with an O365 account rather than a personal MS account? This would be great for the enterprise space and single sign on and all that.

2. Will Group Policy still be something that can be used for settings and could you force certain sites to load in the planned IE11 legacy mode?

Thanks!

One of the major reasons it is hard to migrate between browsers is the saved passwords. I have my passwords saved in Chrome that I can access across multiple devices. Having a way to bulk import this would make moving to a new browser much easier. 

Platform availability... I use three windows 10 PCs, three android devices, and one Chromebook. Chrome works across all of these seamlessly. Having a cross platform browser with good integration would be key to me switching. 

Proper dark theme that is OLED friendly i.e Black, not grey.... pure black. If this could be forced upon websites on a per site basis. Have a quick toggle in ribbon so sites that don't work properly can be toggled. 

@Elliot Kirk 

@STZ_1 You can resolve the password problem by using a universal extension like LastPass (www.lastpass.com), which is free for the average user. 
This way your passwords follow you everywhere and have the added advantage of being cloaked with military encryption, which prevents the browser from ever "knowing" what your password is, which means it can't be hacked or stolen