We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

@Drew1903 

Thanks, but I have my colors how I like them, hence the post. I use very dark colors with the Windows 10 Accent color. Well as dark as they allow and everything else is fine, except Edge.

Original Chrome is lighter on the inactive tabs making the focus tab stand out more.

2019-05-11_18-51-56.png

biri biri

i would like the ability to print selection or print selected text similar to what is available in IE. @Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk I agree we are looking forward and that is where growth is. I assumed moving to Chromium will allow Edge to become platform independent. With little bit of fixes, it will also run on Window 7. So we can tell our 50% IE customers there, hey don't go anywhere else when you move forward but there is another option i.e. Edge. It can rum super fast and smooth. So when 50% of the customers move, they move to Edge as that has become habit.
FYI Chrome on Win7 run super fast and IE11 on Win7 run super slow.

I was thinking more in line of how we retain our customer with Microsoft experience when to look for options when upgrading. 

That reminds of all of us who want Add notes from or of Edge.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile :mobile_phone:

@Pramod Kumar Chandoria 

Anything that helps move customers away from Win 7 & IE is all good.  If Edge C speeds that up, terrific.

3 cheers if it's catalyst or cattle prod.

With any luck it will be the case.  And, the nice thing is, it smells very likely.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 I can definitely see the benefit of reintroducing the "add notes feature to Edge Chromium.

@emrold 

Did the same, worked like a charm - thanks!

@Elliot Kirk Would've been nice to change the size of the top panel (tabs, URL bar, etc.)

@Elliot Kirk Just downloaded the Microsoft Edge Insider and I'm already loving it. I was just curious, Do you have any plans to add the "Add Notes" feature to this browser? As a scholar, this tool has always helped me while taking notes from websites and PDFs. Also the smallest features like (e.g. Cortana search) have been very helpful. I look forward to see them in the near future. Probably it might make the browser a little heavy but if those components are queued and loaded after the basic features are loaded, probably this won't affect the browser performance. 

Thanks a lot for the remade browser. Its beautiful.

OMG, surprise surprise - yet another person longing for the same things as the rest of us

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone

Hi , Clara-Belle Nutman here, sir......And just back from Martini Thu..........Special and so important thanks for listening. I could not be more impressed with your team on the test phase and a true desire to see about opinions, suggestions and preferences beyond the usual and expected complaint comment noise about everything.  I really appreciate the updates and the notif of the latest and what to look out for,....and again, being so clear that We are Listening....Fantastic....all of you.

2nd - I am in love with this dark mode/kight mode concept, How very cool.  

3rd  - I have no recommendations, beefs or annoyances or sighs,.....I just love it all....I only came up with 1 question.

Before this DEV was downloaded as my Browser and used, Edge had the absolute worst in the area of viewing live stream HD>   There was never adequate buttons and info to enact nor save and leave as perme=anent the highest bandwith the view can allow.  I always wondered why next to each choice eventually settling on ....say the middle....600......why not have a message say why this one hqad to be selected and why those could not.......

Anyway, onto my question. First, goodbye Edge, absolutely nothing different from Explorer but as my live stream view needs req HD and the best of webcams, I grew to despise Edge as the clocking and choking and sillyness to show a clear view of a vid......so dev is clearly different.

I see the easy to click first time evrer HD buttons to choose from. Some days went back to the blurry and booting me back down to the worst, grainest of views.......mostly ATT got an earful for my speedtest numbers were stupidly low and I pay for the supreme burrito, extra sour creme of 100 mbps...

Then i noticed still DEV slowed down in HD, booted me lower, choked sputtered.......then remembered oh what, I have Google Chrome also running, also viewing my other family live stream in HD........so i remembered that i read that this new DEV and live stream HD is sharing the "I don't kn ow what
 maybe features or the actual mechanics........together......as if you are stealing or borrowing or now partnering with Google to share this exact same thing...I saw the exact same speeds, th8e booting back lower, the grainest and worst pic of grandma, which si fine, she's not easy to look at............so i was just wondering if you could explain why you are utilizing each other's services re: this aspect?   That now tells me Microsoft is now as good as Google Chrome in this area but absolutely the same, no increase of something and now you both share the same one thing...wassup wit dat?   thank you....I am so happy to hear from you only if you have the time....Great Work, Elliott.....seriously    Fondly ever,   CLARA-BELLE, :)

niceteethbitch - Copy.jpgo@Elliot Kirk 

Elliott, you are amazing, thankful, attentive and such a great expert and resource and leader of this pack of wild DEV users and what have you. You really are great,
There is no advantage Gogle Chrome has over this new Mirosoft Edge DEV that is being tested and and beaten up and remade as superman etc before it's deployed to the masses.........but yes, before this, Edge was the same ;piece of crap the Internet Explorer was, version 1 thru 12. Changes, suggestions, bugs, annoyances always fell to deaf ears and every attempt by MS to not allow us idiots who want to bang their heads in over whatever to contact them live.....send those people that BS live virtual agent stupidity.....but now.....yeah no reason or advantage to now go to Google....except to now be a **bleep** as you sort of indicated above....don't need you anymore MS......how rude.........stay and stop being such a crank. You know you aren't going anywhere. No one "LEAVES" MS as in close the entire account and......go and start up your Gmail email and what not......it ain't switching TV and internet providers......so everyone has both, you know that and you just have to take several seats and button your lip......and maybe believe me that DEV is just as good.....now apologize to these nice people........don't be a B as my great grandmother, Fannie Alcott Foggarten used to say all the fukkin time....xoxoxoxo.....p.s. sit down

@Elliot Kirk 

Hi, what about privacy with Chrome and Google behind chrome - are there any hidden connections via Chrome to Google, during daily personal use of the new edge version? This should not be the case!

Respecting privacy should be the great difference between Microsoft (yes) and Google (no).

It is not necessary to implement privacy in the alu hat version, just avoid any hidden personal data transfer to Google and Facebook.

Thanks

NanoMymse

(still using a perfect 950 XL and waiting for the Surface Phone (coming soon)

how to publish an extension to microsoft insider-addons?

@Elliot Kirk  The current Edge browser on Windows 10 is super fast to launch. But your chrome based Edge behaves like Chrome when launched on Windows 10, and is not as fast to launch.

Could you retain the same Super fast launch time in the new Edge Chromium browser too ?

@seeker1891 

"The current Edge browser on Windows 10 is super fast to launch. But your chrome based Edge behaves like Chrome when launched on Windows 10, and is not as fast to launch.

Could you retain the same Super fast launch time in the new Edge Chromium browser too ?"

Well, this ⬆ is different OR "There's a 1st time for everything" OR "There's an exception to every rule"

I suggest something else must be afoot, here, to explain what you're experiencing. 

I agree that I, always, have found Edge fast, stable & snappy.  However, everyone including myself, without exception, until now, have been super impressed with the speed of Edge C.  It is being reported as significantly, noticeably faster than other browsers... not only are Folks saying it's substantially speedier than Edge, but, others, as well.  People are jumping ship from FF, Chrome & more for the stronger, more rapid performance of Edge C.  Certainly, my own Dev & Canary both load in less time than my Edge running on the same hardware.

Maybe tell us more about the specific details of your system & set-up to help sort out why it is slow for you.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Everyone, without exception is a very strong statement, and incorrect as well. I myself reported in my first message here that it indeed feels slower than Edge, but I assumed it was due to the beta status of the browser at the moment. 

I´m testing the "new edge" on a Dell XPS-13 (first revision I think). I am not using any extensions in any of the browsers. Startup times seem almost equal with the new edge definitely feeling just a touch slower. For me the big difference is in scrolling and response to touch where the new edge is definitely quite a bit behind. Scrolling is choppier. Where Edge was silky smooth the new edge is noticeably choppier when scrolling, it is even slight worse than chrome in this regard. Touch response is probably the worst experience where Edge really was far ahead of chrome in response to touch (this I experienced on my previous Surface Pro 3 as well), and the new edge feels much much worse.

@m_e_t_76 

I will say that was not the best choice of words on my part.  Indeed, we have read people having Touch issues with this beta.

And the smooth scrolling or the lack thereof, it is known.  I believe it's, still, lingering on the  "Coming soon" list.

Some, certainly, have excitedly said it was fast(er).  But, yes, it's not the case for all.

I misspoke.  Point taken.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg