We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

@Elliot Kirk Thanks for building a hope to bring back browser consumers back to Microsoft eco system as everything evolves around it.

Many of SharePoint customer use IE11 on Windows 7. I would love to see if this version is going to be available on Window 7 so we at least can recommend users to switch to alternative Edge for better performance.

I would like to get involved with Performance API champions if looking for detailed  feedback

@Elliot Kirk I am using the dev build 75.0.139.4

I'm using G Suite daily and this message has popped up the last few days:

Annotation 2019-05-03 114424.jpg

It doesn't affect usability in any way - but it's annoying to have to dismiss it. Best of luck with the new Edge!

@Elliot Kirk-- I'm actually surprised that MS decided to switch to Chromium for Edge's engine. In my experience, Edge and even IE11 had caught up with Chrome in terms of rendering performance. On some issues, they're even ahead of Google's browser. Such as on the support for CSS hyphens. Your support on that is excellent! :) Please make sure that it's maintained!

Windows 7 support ends in January.
When will Edge (Chrome version) be available for Windows 7.
Will there be one more Windows 7 update that adds Edge only or will there be a Web page to download and install it as with other browsers?

@magius1962 

I am going to be bold or forthright enough to suggest the answer to this has nothing to do with browsers.  Rather it has everything to do with switching from 7 to 10 which, frankly, at this point in time, would be, already, overdue. Leaving 7 in the past & moving to 10 makes the discussion about Edge C support on 7 a moot point.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk At this moment, I feel that my biggest pet peeve is the New Tab News Feed Personalization. 

What is the point in my wasting my time customizing my news feed, only to have topics that I have no interest being placed back into my feed? 

thank you

@Elliot Kirk  on outlook.com when a PDF preview which needs a password, is opened then browser asking to remember that password. This should not happen.

@The Outlook Team 

@Elliot Kirk How to add arguments to StartLayout for Microsoft Chromium Edge tile when it doesn't accept Desktop Link tile?

Extended info: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55900908/how-to-add-arguments-to-startlayout-for-microsoft-chrom...

Otherwise I am happy to just use Chrome, which should make you squeezy when your Chromium can't do it.

@Elliot Kirk 

Microsoft Edge has printing issues when printing PDF's with graphics.  PDF's without graphics will print fine.  Also, if you open that PDF with graphics in another browser, it will print fine.  Edge is not a very great product and if there was a way to remove them from the system, then I would probably do that.

@Elliot Kirk  I sent this inadvertently in Private, but I actually want to make the case in public. I really miss good-old drag and drop of the URL from the address bar to the desktop, or a folder, to create a shortcut to a site. The Favorites bar gets too cluttered and takes up sometimes-valuable real estate, and I've just never gotten used to drilling down into a Favorites menu. Drag and drop is just convenient for some folks. Thank you for listening, and I really credit Microsoft for these forums!

@Elliot Kirk  I sent this inadvertently in Private, but I actually want to make the case in public. I really miss good-old drag and drop of the URL from the address bar to the desktop, or a folder, to create a shortcut to a site. The Favorites bar gets too cluttered and takes up sometimes-valuable real estate, and I've just never gotten used to drilling down into a Favorites menu. Drag and drop is just convenient for some folks. Thank you for listening, and I really credit Microsoft for these forums!

@Elliot Kirk As an enterprise user, and our Enterprise Architect, I'm very interested in getting functionality to deploy "Chrome" add-ons. Instead of always going to our intranet, scrolling, choosing a list and then the application I want to log in to, in my previous job we developed an add-on that we installed in each employees' Chrome browser. It had shortcuts to all major applications as well as shortcuts to "Create a support case" etc. Features for enterprise users would be greatly appreciated, especially as I haven't found any information about it yet. 

Thank you!

Another incessant repeat.
Hi maybe this is the wrong place for it, but how do I remove all my favorite bookmarks in edge dev all at once

@Elliot Kirk Great work on the new and improved Edge browser, I've been using it for a few weeks at both work and home and so far I've found it to be a really reliable and fast. I do however have a feature request regarding Favorites synchronization, it would be amazing if it were possible to have a switchable Favorites Bar. By that I mean the ability to have multiple Favorites Bars defined that I could switch out depending on what I'm doing. So when I'm working I'd like to be able to have all of my work related web sites, web apps etc at my figure tips. Then when work finishes and it's time to relax be able to switch to a different Favorite Bar with all my favorite personal websites, news, games, hobbbies etc.

For me, Chromium Edge is a game changer. Especially after the Microsoft Build Conference. IE mode, Collections and much more. It's exciting times. Anyway, my issues are as follows:

Quite high CPU usage. Win 10 Pro with 16gb Ram and Edge Version 76.0.155.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) (screenshot below.)

I find that with a couple of extensions I get very high CPU. Chrome was always high, but Edge seems a lot higher at the moment. Possible memory leak, but it's high anyway.

Dark Theme Tab Focus:

When using the dark theme, it's hard to distinguish which tab is in focus. Maybe change the focus color or add a small icon like a tiny downward triangle or a colored stripe to show this is the tab in focus. With 10+ tabs open or more it gets very hard to know which tab is open and in focus.

Anyway. I love Edge and I look forward to all the new and exciting changes to come. Keep up this fantastic work and thank you for a great browser.

Screenshots:

High CPU and tab in focus with dark theme:

1ms.png2ms.png

Thanks.

Michael Knight.

That's a great idea! Sort of like, you have an up-down arrow at the right side that, when you click on it, a drop-down list of all your named favorites bars shows up that you could click on. When you select a particular favorites bar, all the sites on that bar will automatically open. Is that what you had in mind? That would satisfy my request for a return of the set-aside tabs feature that I've been looking for!

For me, Chromium Edge is a game changer. Especially after the Microsoft Build Conference. IE mode, Collections and much more. It's exciting times. Anyway, my issues are as follows:

Quite high CPU and Memory usage. Win 10 Pro with 16gb Ram and Edge Version 76.0.155.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) (screenshot below.)

I find that with a couple of extensions I get very high Memory and CPU. Chrome was always high, but Edge seems a lot higher at the moment. Possible memory leak, but it's high anyway.

Dark Theme Tab Focus:

When using the dark theme, it's hard to distinguish which tab is in focus. Maybe change the focus color or add a small icon like a tiny downward triangle like a bookmark or a colored stripe to show this is the tab in focus. With 10+ tabs open or more it gets very hard to know which tab is open and in focus.

Anyway. I love Edge and I look forward to all the new and exciting changes to come. Keep up this fantastic work and thank you for a great browser.

Screenshots:

High CPU and tab in focus with dark theme:

1ms.png2ms.png

Thanks.

Michael Knight.

Michael,

Depending on what OS accent colour you use the active tab et al can be VERY easy to see. Stands out much more and better than Edge because it, actually, uses the accent colour. Try it.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone