We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

@Elliot Kirk I like the look so far. But I was just looking at the settings and um, right off the bat, I am not liking that the only available search engine is Bing! I realize I can add Google search, but I do not think that is cool at all. Even Google Chrome allows you to choose either its own search engine or Bing or Yahoo or DuckDuckGo. You need to integrate more search engines, please. In the meantime, how do I add Google's search engine myself?

When should we expect "Read Aloud" feature in the Edge Dev? @Elliot Kirk 

By the way, this was on the Dev channel.

Um, are you not seeing it? Just curious because I have it in mine in the drop-down menu on the upper right and I just tested it on the new tab page it worked. 

Yep, I see it as well.... right in the menu next to the smiley....
@letusflow
Dennis5mile

@letusflow 

Read Aloud with Reading view which, is one of the "Coming soon" items.
CS.jpg
Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@jen7677 

Hi & welcome, Jen,

Here's the answer... and you may not, even, realise you are Adding to the list (See highlight on image #4). Mine, originally, did, only, have Bing

+SE.jpg
+SE2.jpg
+SE3.jpg
+SE4.jpg
Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Thanks for this! I couldn't find that setting at all.

@trparky I don't have this kind of issue.  Full screen YouTube is working perfectly well !

@Marc Roussel 

"Full screen YouTube is working perfectly well !"

Marc, ditto, same here, no such issue.  Sorry, can't help, support or duplicate.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk 

Hi 

Am enjowing the PWA aspects of new browser. One annoying thing, in full screen mode of PWA for a atreaming video site you get a white upper bar that I can't remove.

Screnshot attached.

Currenytly using chrome for PWA, but want to ditch that. 

Anyway to remove that top bar?

Thanks

@Elliot Kirk 

Hi 

Am enjowing the PWA aspects of new browser. One annoying thing, in full screen mode of PWA for a atreaming video site you get a white upper bar that I can't remove.

Screnshot attached.

Currenytly using chrome for PWA, but want to ditch that. 

Anyway to remove that top bar?

Thanks

@Elliot Kirk Hello, I have a suggestion. Whan any text is highlighted/selected, can there be an auto pop of with controls like copy, cut, paste, search (on the web) etc? 

Also will there be a version for touch based use, for example, if I use my Surface Book 2 in tablet mode?

Thank you.

just an idea have you tried flags to turn on dark mode at least the strip will be black you need to open browser as administrator then in the top bar type edge://flags and in the search type in dark and apply it hope that helps@kiwidoc 

@Elliot Kirk Can anyone help me check if voice search on Google works ?

@Elliot Kirk So far, all the extension I'm using on Google Chrome have been installed and working on Microsoft Edge without any issues. So far, I'm impressed by the new Edge browser!

@Elliot Kirk 

What I liked about legacy Edge is :

1. The fullscreen mode.  You could mouse over the top and the tabs would appear.  You could mouse over the bottom and the Windows 10 taskbar would appear.  Very neat.

2. Also the tabs thumbnails.  You could mouse over the tabs and a thumbnail of the tab would appear.  Or you could choose to always see a thumbnail (great if you have a big monitor).

I tried Chromium Edge thinking I would have a Chromium experience AND these features but that is not the case right now.

Simon

not sure what you did, but this Edge is a real screamer. thank you, i'm switching from Edge to Edge Dev just for the prompt response. Well, plus the other goodies. :)

@Elliot Kirk Sorting favorites is needed. Easy to use, with only right-click then Sort, no command to search in the left bottom, top right, hamburger menu or else. When the action is applied to a folder/sub-folder of favorites, this one should always be sorted if a new favorite is added. Thank you.

@Elliot Kirk ADD A NATIVE M3U8 PAYER