Users can now sign-in and sync their favorites with Microsoft Edge on Linux!

Microsoft

Microsoft Edge on Linux now includes the ability to login with your Microsoft account and sync your favorites, passwords, extensions, and more! As an insider, we would love your feedback on how well this experience works for you.  Version 91.0.831.x of Microsoft Edge will be the first version to contain this feature. As of Version v91.0.838.x, this feature flag is now enabled by default! 

Enable Microsoft Sign-in and Sync 

By default, sign in and sync is disabled, but enabling it is easy. Head on over edge://flags and search for and enable the ‘MSA sign in’ experiment. 

SeanLarkin_0-1616515362544.png

Login with your Microsoft account and enable Sync 

Now that things are enabled, you can login. 

1. Select the profile image in the browser taskbar.  
  2. Select Sign in on the profile dialog. 
  3. Sign-in by entering your Microsoft account details. 
    1. Note: AAD accounts are not supported yet. 
  4. Select Sync when you are asked if you want to sync your account. This syncs your favorites, passwords, and other browsing data across the devices you use with this account. 
    1. Note: Sync will take a few seconds. If you click on your profile image, the sync status is displayed. 

Now, we can see Sync is on and our favorites are available! 

SeanLarkin_1-1616515432597.png

We really want to hear from you! 

We are interested in hearing about your experience with the Microsoft account sign-in and sync feature. You can use Microsoft Edge’s Send Feedback tool by clicking on the profile image, or through the … menu under Help and feedback > Send feedback. Or you can leave a comment on this article. 

What if this feature causes issues with my browser? 

Given this feature is part of Edge’s DEV channel, we wanted to make sure you are well prepared for any potential issues. The mitigations listed below should be attempted from the top to bottom as they become increasingly destructive to your local data (i.e. favorites, passwords, extensions, etc.). 

• My browser is not behaving correctly since I logged in and enabled Sync. 
    • Navigate to "Manage profile settings" (which will claim it is "Setting up sync" for your profile) and "Sign out" your account, but leave the favorites/history/etc. 
    • Navigate to edge://flags/#edge-msa-sign-on-enabled and mark the "MSA sign in" flag as "Disabled". Restart as suggested. 
  • My browser crashes when I launch it since I logged in and enabled Sync. 
    • Launch edge with: --disable-features=msOneAuthEnableMSALSignInOnLinux 
    • Navigate to edge://flags/#edge-msa-sign-on-enabled and mark the "MSA sign in" flag as "Disabled". Restart as suggested. 
    • Navigate to "Manage profile settings" (which will claim it is "Setting up sync" for your profile) and "Sign out" your account, but leave the favorites/history/etc. 
  • Disabling things as described above did not work for me. 
    • Note: This option will delete all your favorites, passwords, extensions, etc. 
    • Try deleting your Profile folder. 
      • ~/.config/microsoft-edge-dev/Profile* 
  • Deleting my Profile folder did not work for me. 
    • Note: This option will delete your local browser settings. The next time you launch the browser you will get the first run experience again. 
    • Try deleting everything. 
      • ~/.config/microsoft-edge-dev/  
      • ~/.cache/Microsoft/  
      • ~/.cache/microsoft-edge-dev/ 

Known Issues

• Browser crash occurs if you have to login again to verify your account. 
    • As a workaround users can visit https://account.microsoft.com/ to verify their account, then restart their browser. A fix for this is being worked on to mitigate this issue.
52 Replies
Nothing is syncing on mine. Nothing Microsoft. Nothing.
What do you see in here:
edge://sync-internals/
Do you have pass word sync enabled in your settings?
edge://settings/profiles/sync
This has been the feature I have been waiting for! Thanks for bringing this to Linux!
Amazing browser and great feature!
There is any eta for the AAD support? I really want to use it on my corporate laptop running Ubuntu.

Thanks.
Azure Active Directory on Microsoft 365 Enterprise , + Multi factor Authentication. hope these feature release soon.
It works for me. Great feature! Thanks!
Ubuntu 20.04

When will AAD accounts work? is there a timeline? I'm tired of running a Windows VM just to work in office365 for business.

Works great on Fedora 34! Patiently waiting for AAD sign-in for sync.

@SeanLarkin 

I am unable to login because it said my account is not Microsoft account? But I am able to login on Windows and Mac.

Maybe this function does not support for Office 365 company account?

see this thread:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/azure-ad-sign-in-support-in-edge-for-linux/m-p/25...

I get exactly this problem. I can sign Windows Edge browser into company account, but not Edge running on Fedora Linux.