Users can now sign-in and sync their favorites with Microsoft Edge on Linux!

Microsoft

Microsoft Edge on Linux now includes the ability to login with your Microsoft account and sync your favorites, passwords, extensions, and more! As an insider, we would love your feedback on how well this experience works for you.  Version 91.0.831.x of Microsoft Edge will be the first version to contain this feature. As of Version v91.0.838.x, this feature flag is now enabled by default! 

Enable Microsoft Sign-in and Sync 

By default, sign in and sync is disabled, but enabling it is easy. Head on over edge://flags and search for and enable the ‘MSA sign in’ experiment. 

SeanLarkin_0-1616515362544.png

Login with your Microsoft account and enable Sync 

Now that things are enabled, you can login. 

1. Select the profile image in the browser taskbar.  
  2. Select Sign in on the profile dialog. 
  3. Sign-in by entering your Microsoft account details. 
    1. Note: AAD accounts are not supported yet. 
  4. Select Sync when you are asked if you want to sync your account. This syncs your favorites, passwords, and other browsing data across the devices you use with this account. 
    1. Note: Sync will take a few seconds. If you click on your profile image, the sync status is displayed. 

Now, we can see Sync is on and our favorites are available! 

SeanLarkin_1-1616515432597.png

We really want to hear from you! 

We are interested in hearing about your experience with the Microsoft account sign-in and sync feature. You can use Microsoft Edge’s Send Feedback tool by clicking on the profile image, or through the … menu under Help and feedback > Send feedback. Or you can leave a comment on this article. 

What if this feature causes issues with my browser? 

Given this feature is part of Edge’s DEV channel, we wanted to make sure you are well prepared for any potential issues. The mitigations listed below should be attempted from the top to bottom as they become increasingly destructive to your local data (i.e. favorites, passwords, extensions, etc.). 

• My browser is not behaving correctly since I logged in and enabled Sync. 
    • Navigate to "Manage profile settings" (which will claim it is "Setting up sync" for your profile) and "Sign out" your account, but leave the favorites/history/etc. 
    • Navigate to edge://flags/#edge-msa-sign-on-enabled and mark the "MSA sign in" flag as "Disabled". Restart as suggested. 
  • My browser crashes when I launch it since I logged in and enabled Sync. 
    • Launch edge with: --disable-features=msOneAuthEnableMSALSignInOnLinux 
    • Navigate to edge://flags/#edge-msa-sign-on-enabled and mark the "MSA sign in" flag as "Disabled". Restart as suggested. 
    • Navigate to "Manage profile settings" (which will claim it is "Setting up sync" for your profile) and "Sign out" your account, but leave the favorites/history/etc. 
  • Disabling things as described above did not work for me. 
    • Note: This option will delete all your favorites, passwords, extensions, etc. 
    • Try deleting your Profile folder. 
      • ~/.config/microsoft-edge-dev/Profile* 
  • Deleting my Profile folder did not work for me. 
    • Note: This option will delete your local browser settings. The next time you launch the browser you will get the first run experience again. 
    • Try deleting everything. 
      • ~/.config/microsoft-edge-dev/  
      • ~/.cache/Microsoft/  
      • ~/.cache/microsoft-edge-dev/ 

Known Issues

• Browser crash occurs if you have to login again to verify your account. 
    • As a workaround users can visit https://account.microsoft.com/ to verify their account, then restart their browser. A fix for this is being worked on to mitigate this issue.
52 Replies

@SeanLarkin not working yet, can't find the "MSA sign in" flag.

Edge version: 91.0.825.0 (Official builddev (64-bit)

- Jags

@jags desai, this feature will be available with today's DEV release (version 91.0.831.x). It should be available today around noon PST. Thanks for trying it out!

@lorne_mitchell thanks alot, and it would be great if you could add version 91.0.831.x to the original post.

This is awesome, thank you!

the Edge ecosystem is almost complete now, sync across all available platforms.

@SeanLarkin @lorne_mitchell just updated to Edge version 91.0.831.1 and Edge Sync seems to be working just fine. Many thanks.

Now if possible, could someone at Microsoft, wake up the person in charge of Edge for Android from his/her "Deep Cryosleep" please...

For those who don't know, Edge for Android is stuck on Chromium version 77 for 1.5+ years :(

Awesome. Can't wait for AAD account support. Any estimate on this?
Corporate users hanging out for AAD account support - hope it follows soon!
Yes, Edge mobile using Chromium 77 should be the top priority for the Edge team to take care of and fix it.
this is awesome and I hope this feature will available by default and users does not need to tamper with the flag settings anymore

@SeanLarkin  working absolutely fine.

I'm working on Ubuntu 20.04 and Edge 91.0.831.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
Thanks for this helpful update.  :folded_hands:

Works as been written. Very well done!
Edge 91.0.831.1 (Официальная сборка) dev (64-разрядная версия) @ Ubuntu 20.10
Now it's time to enable and check it @Mac. :)

@dtantono115 

@dtantono115 wrote:
this is awesome and I hope this feature will available by default and users does not need to tamper with the flag settings anymore

there is really no need to post this comment everywhere in the forum.

like I said in other places,

this is the first time they've added it, so it naturally goes to flags section first, once they get enough data and are sure it's reliable enough, they will turn it on by default.

I've been testing the options with several logins and registration pages, and works perfect!, Tested on Manjaro XFCE4 stable version
Thank you so much for taking the time to test it out!
One experience across all devices! Love hearing you are enjoying it. Thanks for trying this out!
We'll be transitioning this away from feature flag soon!