Use Password Monitor to help protect your passwords online

Microsoft

Note: We are in the process of deploying this feature, so it may be a little while before you see it in your respective channel and build.

Each year, hundreds of millions of usernames and passwords are exposed online when websites or appsfor example, the kind we use to order products—become the target of data breaches. 

These leaked username and passwords often end up for sale on the online black market, commonly referred to as the Dark Web. Hackers use automated scripts to try different stolen username and password combinations to hijack people’s accounts. When an account is taken over, its owner can be the target of fraudulent transactions, identity theft, illegal fund transfers, or other illegal activities.

Though people are regularly 
cautioned against reusing the same username and password combination for more than one online account, it’s a common practice. This leaves them vulnerable on multiple sites when breaches occur.  

Password Monitor helps Microsoft Edge customers protect their online accounts by informing them if any of their passwords that have been compromised, so they can update them. Changing their passwords immediately is the best way to prevent their accounts from being hijacked. 

How Password Monitor works 

After you turn on Password Monitor, Microsoft Edge begins proactively checking the passwords you’ve saved in the browser against a large database of known breached credentials that are stored in the cloudIf any of your passwords match those in the database, they will be shown on the Password Monitor page in Settings > Profiles Passwords Password Monitor. Passwords listed there are no longer safe to use and need to be changed immediately.  

When your credentials are checked against the database of known leaked credentials, powerful encryption helps prevent your information from being revealed to anyone.
 Information about which password has been compromised is only available to you.   

Turn on Password Monitor  

To turn on Password Monitor:  

1. Make sure you’re signed in to Microsoft Edge using your Microsoft account or your work or school account. 
  2. In your browser settings, go to Profiles Passwords. 
  3. Turn on the toggle next to “Show alerts when passwords are found in an online leak”. After the toggle is turned on, any unsafe passwords will be displayed on the Password Monitor page in your browser settings > Passwords. 

What to do if you discover your password is unsafe  

1. Go to Settings > ProfilesPasswords Password Monitor. 
  2. For each account where your password is shown to be unsafe, select the Change Password button. You’ll be taken to the relevant website. Change your password. 
  3. If an entry in the list of compromised passwords is no longer relevant to you, you can ignore it by clicking Ignore. 
35 Replies

hi @lwetzel, the launch date for Password Monitor in the Stable channel is not yet public, but that day is not far. Expect more details on this in Oct-Nov timeframe. 

@Suhrid_Palsule 

Ok, this password manager and all that went with it, seems to have disappeared in this latest version of Can.. Version 87.0.644.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit).

Password Manager.jpg

Is this intentional?

Dennis5mile

I keep getting alerts that my passwords have leaked online to the same websites over and over again, after I have changed my password(s). When I check the password, it still shows the old one that I have already changed. This is so frustrating!! I had 25 passwords leaked on a scan last night and on probably 90% of them, I had already changed the password. Is this a glitch in the system? I want to continue to have my passwords monitored, but not if this redundancy doesn't stop! Thanks!@Suhrid_Palsule 

Hi @Bamatami

Sorry you faced this! Password Monitor checks all username-password combinations stored in Microsoft Edge, regardless of whether they are valid or stale credentials. 

In order to avoid getting alerts for older passwords (which are no longer valid), you can delete those specific entries from the browser by going to Settings > Profiles > Passwords. 

Let me know if this answers your question! :) 

hi@Dennis5mile 

thanks for bringing this to our attention! this should not happen, as Password Monitor is available for 100% of Canary and Dev users. Do update to the latest version or restart your browser if you're already using the latest, and let me know if the issue persists. 

@Suhrid_Palsule 

Thanks for the reply,

As of Version 87.0.657.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) everything appears to beback to normal.

Screenshot 2020-10-02 081621.jpg

Dennis5mile

@Suhrid_Palsule I am months late in responding to this, so apologies.  Why are the requests to https://edge.microsoft.com/passwordbreach/api/v1 authenticates with a bearer token associated with my account?  Doesn't this increase the risk that the information could be associated with me personally?

Rich

@rshupak 

Bearer token authentication is because this feature is available only for signed in users. As far as privacy concerns go, adequate protections are in place to ensure that neither Microsoft nor any other party can get any new information about you from this check. We hope to share more details on the way this check is completed with you in the near future. Thanks!

@Suhrid_Palsule It's December, still not available!

We hear you,@Kam! Password Monitor, like other features, will be brought to the release version when it meets the high standards of quality that Stable channel users deserve and have come to expect. That day is not too far out, although i'm unable to share an exact date here. Thanks for your patience, and self-hosting the feature! 

Does this feature actually scans for password or does it just try to match the website URL and email address? Because I have a few hits that are very unlikely to have been leak as there's no recent data leak/hack on those sites since the last time I changed password there and it is a unique password so it cannot come from other site being hacked. (ex: bestbuy.ca)

Does it send encrypted passwords or hashes only?