SOLVED

*Updated 9/3* Syncing in Microsoft Edge Preview Channels

Microsoft

Syncing your browser data in Microsoft Edge Preview builds
We heard your feedback and are committed to making sync a more reliable feature across devices. We’ve rebuilt our sync experience from the ground up and we’re making extra effort to ensure that sync meets your expectations. Our goal for sync is to ensure that you have a consistent browsing experience when you choose to roam your favorites, passwords, history, and other data across your devices.

*Updated 9/3* What is the current state of sync and what is the road ahead?

• You can now sync Favorites, Settings (preference), Passwords & Form-fill data across Windows devices, and across Microsoft Edge on Android and iOS (instructions below).
  • Sync is enabled for both Microsoft accounts (MSA) as well as work or school accounts (AAD).
  • Note that AAD sync is only available for AAD premium accounts (SKUs which include Azure Information Protection) and is not yet rolled out for macOS.
  • We are working on pending attributes and will be enabling them soon (history, extensions & open tabs)
  • As we are building a new system, Edge builds are not expected to sync with earlier versions of Microsoft Edge. You can import your existing favorites from earlier versions of Microsoft Edge.

Enabling sync on PC
When you sign in with your Microsoft account on Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, you’ll get a dialogue asking for consent to enable sync. Once you give the consent, your favorites should start syncing. Note that you can customize the sync behavior from the sync settings page.

PC Sync SettingsPC Sync Settings

Note that some attributes might be disabled on this page. They will be enabled on this page as we enable sync for them.

Enabling sync on Android
Our Microsoft Edge app on Android can now sync with the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels. But first, you’ll need to upgrade to the latest version on Google play.
To sync with Microsoft Insider Channels, sign in with your Microsoft Account, ensure that it is selected as your active account, go to Settings > Account and select your Microsoft account, then select Microsoft Edge Insider Channels > Switch.

MMX_1_Updated.pngMMX_2.jpg

MMX_3.jpgMMX_4_updated.jpg.png

After you switch to Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, you will be asked how you want to handle your existing favorites. You can choose to import and sync your existing favorites with Microsoft Edge Insider Channels. If you choose no, your existing favorites will be deleted before sync is enabled.

MMX_5.jpgMMX_6.jpg

If you choose to import favorites, when you visit Favorites for the first time, you’ll see all your current favorites and they’ll start syncing with your Microsoft Edge Insider Channels on your PC.

Enabling sync on iOS  

We are happy to announce that we have expanded our sync support to iOS.  To begin syncing your favorites between you iOS devices and your other Microsoft Edge Insider devices, you must first update Microsoft Edge for iOS to the latest version on iTunes.  To sync with the Insider Channels you can follow similar steps as those listed above in the Sync with Android section. 

First you will need to sign in with your Microsoft Account, ensure that it is selected as your active account, go to Settings > Account and select your Microsoft account, then select Microsoft Edge Insider Channels > Switch. 

ios_sync01.jpgios_sync02.jpg

ios_sync03.jpgios_sync04.jpg

After you switch to Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, you will be asked how you want to handle your existing favorites. You can choose to import and sync your existing favorites with Microsoft Edge Insider Channels. If you choose no, your existing favorites will be deleted before sync is enabled.   

ios_sync05.jpgios_sync06.jpg

Once you have completed these steps you will see all of your imported favorites in your favorites list. 

What do you think?
We are excited about sync in Microsoft Edge Insider Channels and are very optimistic that we are building it right. However, we want to be sure that sync works across your workflows and browsing scenarios. Please give it a try and let us know how it worked for you. If you run into any issues, use the in-app feedback button to submit the details. If you have other feedback for us about sync, please leave a comment below.

Thank you for trying the new Microsoft Edge.

279 Replies

@Elliot Kirk  Just followed the steps this morning and am loving it. Saw another message about Edge Dev crashing while trying to sync, but I have not had any problem at all. Don't know if the speed tier would have anything to do with it but I'm on a Gig tier. 

@Elliot Kirk 

I have the latest Canary version on my computer.  I have just over 3000 favorites.  I set up Edge on my Samsung Android tablet running Android 8.0 and set it to sync.  The favorites did sync very fast and work great.  On my Samsung Android phone which is also running Andorid 8.0 I set up sync the same way as on my tablet.  It started to sync and has now been showing the status of Syncing for over 15 minutes and still hasn't synced anything.  What might be the problem?

Thanks 

@Deleted 

I uninstalled Edge on my Samsung phone, reinstalled it, signed into my account.  I then went to settings and turned on sync again.  Same thing.  It started syncing, but the status has shown Syncing now for 15 minutes and nothing is getting synced.

Hi maybe this is the wrong place for it, but how do I remove all my favorite bookmarks in edge dev all at once

@Deleted That is strange, I just added this page to my Favorites Bar on the current Canary version on my computer. Opened my Note 9 which has Android version 9 installed, and when I checked my Favorites, this page was there without a problem and absolutely no delay in the sync process.

@LarryE1946 

It is strange.  It works on my Samsung tablet, but not on my Samsung phone running the same version of Android.

@Deleted The plot thickens.  Just tried to sync on my Galaxy Tab S3 and it says it is synced but no favorites at all. I made sure I had the latest version of Edge and I have Android 8 version on the tablet, have no idea what is going on. I uninstalled the app on the tablet and re-installed and still no sync.

@LarryE1946 

It thickens even more.  When I first set up Edge on my Android tablet (which is also a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3), it worked in that it synced all my existing favorites from my Edge Canary version on my computer to the tablet.  Now however, when I add a new favorite to my Edge Canary, it doesn't get synced to my tablet and I get an error "Can't sync (0x4)".

@Deleted Ok, just one observation, you do have your sync settings set to "Microsoft Edge Insider Channels" on your Tab S, right? Because I just changed mine to that and they synced without a problem.

@LarryE1946 

Yes, that is the setting I am using on both my tablet and my phone.  Not sure why on my tablet the initial loading of all existing favorites worked, but subsequently added favorites don't sync.  Doesn't work at all on my phone.

@Deleted Ok, well, I'm at a loss then.  Hopefully, a tech will be along soon to help solve this problem.

@akhator 

Thanks for the update.  Let me know if you need my MS Account ID to troubleshoot.

I did get the update to version 76.0.152.0 this morning but have the same issues.

Cheers,

Stephen

@Deleted 

An update. 

The other day I was getting an error on my tablet ""Can't sync (0x4)".  Now I am not getting that error.  The status shows Synced and it says it was synced just now, but newly added favorites in Edge Chromium Canary are still not syncing to my my tablet. 

My phone now also shows a status of Synced.  It shows it was synced just now.  My original favorites were synced to the phone, but my newly added favorites are not syncing.

@Deleted I really wish I could help you with the syncing problem, but I am at a loss as to what could be the problem.  My Note 9, my Tab S 3 and my PC are all in sync and my only suggestion is to uninstall Edge and start from scratch on your tablet. Just make sure you are installing the Beta version of Edge.

@LarryE1946 

I have uninstalled and re-installed Edge on my phone and tablet several times and it doesn't make any difference.  You refer to a beta version of Edge.  Are you referring to a beta version of the Android Edge app?  Where do I get that?  I have been installing the app from the Google Play store which I assume is not the beta version.

Navigate to manage favorites page (edge://favorites/ or ctrl+shift+O). You can select all existing bookmarks (shift select or just do ctrl +A) and click delete.

@NicolSD We are working on getting you a sync solution that works across all the platforms including iOS :). 

@Stephen Berard Thanks Stephen. Really appreciate your willingness to help. 

@r33zA We are working on Sync support for IOS. Our intent is to ensure sync works on all the platforms where Edge is supported. 

That's good to hear @akhator I'm really digging it so far.