Update on Adobe Flash Player Support

Deleted
Not applicable

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders,

We want to remind you of an upcoming change in the support for Adobe Flash Player. In July 2017, Microsoft, along with Adobe and its industry technology partners, announced that Flash Player will no longer be supported after December 2020. Adobe made the difficult decision to end support for Flash Player due to the technology’s diminished usage and the availability of better, more secure options such as HTML5, WebGL, and WebAssembly. In keeping with this plan, Microsoft is also ending support for Adobe Flash Player on Microsoft Edge (both the new Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Edge Legacy,) and Internet Explorer 11 at the end of 2020. To learn more about this decision, check out our Windows blog post

If you have feedback about this or any suggestions for how we can make your experience better, let us know by submitting feedback through the browser. To do this, navigate to the “…” menu in Microsoft Edge, then select “Help and feedback,” and “ Send feedback.”

Thank you all and we appreciate your help in improving the browsing experience.

- The Microsoft Edge Product Team

8 Replies

@Deleted 

In general it is wise decision and I am supporting this. Having less extensions would bring better security and stability. However, concern remains when there are still websites which are using Flash Player or develop games in Flash. In some cases like video or small animation, it is easy to rebuild it using HTML5, but for things like complete games in Flash Player, it is hard decision for developer. 

I believe along with end of support for Flash Player, it would be good idea to support developers to build web applications using modern web standards. It might be difficult to convert game developed in Flash Player to a one in modern standard like HTML5 or WebGL. But in case there is easy way to develop one , I believe many developer would switch to it.

It would be nice in case Visual Studio extend more support for develop applications and games for web using these standards using modern web standards. In addition, Microsoft needs to add more learning content and easy to use tools to support developers in building websites using new web standards to fill gap of websites where are still using flash player.

It's a good thing, HTML5 FTW

@Deleted But...But my son and daughter's online learning website needs Flash! :sad::cry:

@Kam 

Websites will transition to the alternative technology.

No, becuase another science website that her teacher provided was updated in 2004! It's outdated!

@Kam 

Well then complain to them because this is something that all popular browsers (Firefox and all Chromium based browsers) will do.

@HotCakeX  I can't, becuase I'm not in charge and I don't have their email address and it's not on their website.

@Kam 

Well seems like nothing you can do about it.

and keep in mind that it's Adobe's decision to depreciate their own technology due to various security vulnerabilities. other companies such as Microsoft, Mozilla, Google are just following it.