Translate in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

The Microsoft Translator extension is no longer needed! To help bring all the web to you, we are adding the ability to translate web pages to the preview channels of Microsoft Edge. Translation is now working on Windows, Android, iOS, and  macOS.

Automatic detection

Microsoft Edge can automatically detect when a web page is not in one of your preferred languages. When we do, we will pop up a dialog box, right under the address bar, and ask you if you would like us to translate the page into a language you are more comfortable with. We get your preferred languages from the list of languages in the browser setting, Settings ->Languages (edge://settings/languages). You can update the list of languages at any time.

translate1.png

Translate dialog appears when Microsoft Edge detects that language in not in the users preferred list

We have also included an option to auto-translate all pages for specified languages. You can always invoke translation manually from the context menu (right click) or by clicking on the translate icon on the address bar as shown below.

translate2.png

Open translate from the context

Translate3.png

Open translate from the address bar

Icon State Change:

Whenever translation occurs, we let you know by changing the color of the Translate icon.  Before translation, the icon will be black, and after we translate the web page, . There is an Icon animation for intermediate stage while the document is translating.

Translate4.png               translate5.png

Icon state: before translation                              Icon state: after translation

Translation experience in Immersive Reader:

Translation is now available in the Immersive Reader view of Microsoft Edge. When you are reading an article in the Immersive Reader and want to translate either part or all of the article into another language, open the Reading preferences menu and select the language you want to translate into from the Translate drop down menu. You can then use the Translate entire page slider to decide between translating a selection or the entire page.

Translate-in-PDF.png

Translation experience on iOS and Android:

The behavior is slightly different on mobile. When you visit a web page which is in a language different from your phone’s language, Microsoft Edge offers to translate the page using a flyout that appears at the bottom of webpage.  You can get Microsoft Edge browser for iOS and Android in the appropriate store.

translate6.jpg

translate7.png

Translation on Microsoft Edge for iOS

Translation on Microsoft Edge for Android

What languages does translation work on?

Translation is currently supported on 54 now 64 languages, which cover the vast majority of webpages on internet today

List of languages supported

Afrikaans

Dutch

Hindi

Malagasy

Punjabi

Tamil

Arabic

English

Hungarian

Malay

Romanian

Telugu

Bangla

Estonian

Icelandic

Malayalam

Russian

Thai

Bosnian (Latin)

Filipino

Indonesian

Maltese

Samoan

Tongan

Bulgarian

Finnish

Irish

Maori

Serbian (Cyrillic)

Turkish

Catalan

French

Italian

Marathi Serbian (Latin) Ukrainian

Chinese Simplified

German

Japanese

Norwegian

Slovak

Urdu

Chinese Traditional

Greek

Kannada

Persian

Slovenian

Vietnamese

Croatian

Gujararti

Korean

Polish

Spanish

Welsh

Czech

Haitian Creole

Latvian

Portuguese (Brazil)

Swahili

Danish

Hebrew

Lithuanian

Portuguese (Portugal) Swedish  

What do you think? 

We would love to hear from you. What did you like about the experience and what you didn’t? What more would you like us to build?

Thank you for trying out the new Microsoft Edge and leave your comments below!

89 Replies

Can we have an option to do the translation? It is useful for some folks who are multi lingual, sometimes I want to translate, sometimes I do not want to translate, even my default language is English.

To clarify, the option is something like "Never translate German to English" for example.

@Elliot Kirk maybe you can add an option where the browser can read the word out loud :speaker_high_volume: either the highlighted word that needs to be translated or the translated word.

@Elliot Kirk  Very nice this is looking good, also the little things count such as, changing the colour of the translation icon before and after. ;)

Ok, Huston we have a problem.....   Ok, so far there is no option to translate in Edge Dev, but there is in Edge Can.  However, it does not work as far as I can see if it is "Not" the whole page that needs translating.   Oh and this is all supposedly being translated to English....

This first pic shows that the page was translated according to the icon that is now blue, however as you can see, not the whole page was translated.

@Elliot Kirk Translate.jpg

Next is right clicking to get the context menu up and trying to select translate from there, which did Not work..

Translate 2.jpg

Next is highlighting the text to be translated, which also did not work as there is "NO" translation option to select in the menu..

Translate 3.jpg

Well, this is it so far as you can see for me, this is "NOT" working well.. 

my 20cents worth

Dennis5mile

Hello @Elliot Kirk ,I'm having is visual problem in the translator, the text with the dark theme is almost invisible to the view.

Captura de pantalla (9).png

Captura de pantalla (8).png

Captura de pantalla (9).png

Thanks.

@Ismael Martinez 

How much of the page needs to be in another language to translate the whole page? 

@Peter_Dinh Thanks for your feedback. We are working on this and will be bringing this option within the flyout.

The design for dark mode is not great at the moment. We would be updating this shortly! Thanks for sharing the feedback

@Elliot Kirk Here it doesn't work. The context menu doesn't show the option as well. I tested with multiple languages and pages. Maybe it's working only in Canary? I'm on Dev.

@Elliot Kirk  Translate is not working/missing here as well. I've tried a couple of different languages. No button in the address bar and no right-click context menu item.

Ken

@An_old_bloke Translate is now appearing on some pages, but not others. Will translate one Czech site but not another.

Ken

@An_old_bloke , is it possible to share the site where it did not trigger translate flyout?

@RonDamon , we just scaled this up. Please let us know, in case the issue persists. You can also click on the smiley icon on the top-right corner to post your feedback 

Thanks for selfhosting @BrianMwai - that's a nice suggestion. Please do use the smiley button to share these ideas.

Hey, @Dennis5mile thanks for self-hosting and sharing feedback. There was an intermittent bug in translate and has now been resolved. Can you please try on the latest Canary builds!

Also, support for select and translate a smaller portion of the page has not been added yet.

@Dennis5mile - 

Thanks for self-hosting and sharing feedback. There was an intermittent bug in translate and has now been resolved. Can you please try on the latest Canary builds!

Also, support for select and translate a smaller portion of the page has not been added yet.

@amitkun wrote:

Hey, @Dennis5mile thanks for self-hosting and sharing feedback. There was an intermittent bug in translate and has now been resolved. Can you please try on the latest Canary builds!

Your welcome, and thanks for the heads up about translating selected text and smaller portions of a page being translated..@amitkun 

Dennis5mile

@Elliot Kirk 

I don't get a translate icon when visiting foreign language pages. I have Edge Dev Version 76.0.167.1.

Same here, release note say "The built-in translator has now rolled out to everyone.", but Edge Dev doesn't offer translations on any language I tried. Only languages I have defined in the browser is en-us (primary) and fi-fi, and tried sites in Swedish, Spanish, French, Norwegian, but nothing. Using Dev 76.0.167.1.

EDIT: After restarting the computer, Edge Dev again prompted it had updated to .1, and now Translation is working correctly, so try restarting your browser, and if it has no effect, restart also computer.