Top Feedback Summary for October 8

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hey everyone, back again with another update to our top feedback summary. This week we don’t have any newly addressed feedback, but we do have two new items on the list.

First, we’re hearing feedback that you are interested in seeing the OneNote Web Clipper extension in the Microsoft Edge Insider Addons store. We will look into the status of getting this extension into our store, but in the meantime you can install it from the Chrome Web Store. To do so, open Settings and more (…) and choose Extensions. If it’s not enabled already, toggle Allow extensions from other stores and when prompted choose Allow. Now you can install extensions from the Chrome Web Store including the OneNote Web Clipper.

We’re also getting feedback about feedback . . . specifically the ask to be able to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar. While we love getting your feedback, we’ll take this request under consideration and have a response soon.  

Here is the full updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for October

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

7 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

7 weeks

Planned for October

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

7 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

7 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

7 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

7 weeks

Under Review

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

New!

Under Review

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

New!

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

2 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

2 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

3 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

5 weeks

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

5 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

5 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

5 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

7 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

7 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

7 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

7 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

7 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

7 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

7 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

7 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

7 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

7 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

7 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

7 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

7 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

5 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

7 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

7 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

7 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

7 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

7 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

31 Replies

@Dennis5mile 

@Dennis5mile wrote:
I'm sorry, but "a priority"? squared/rounded corners? WOW UI Fatigue?? WOW This is more the last thing that gets done before it goes Live... little cosmetic touchups.... Please don't get hurt feelings if you feel like they are not answering your wish. They have a ton of features and problems to fix before it goes live, but be assured, that if enough folks request this in the end it will happen, but probably not until everything else is taken care of......

Dennis5mile

This :index_pointing_up:

@David Rubino 

How should I use the new version of Edge as my only browser when I still use the reading list feature on my mobile and on my pc. I try to use the new Edge, but I still have to use the normal Edge too.

You guys work hard on this browser but I can't understand why "Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo" is more important than a feature like reading list and a way to integrate it in the new Version and the Edge on Android.

If I'm start using the new collection feature on the new Edge it will not sync with edge on my Android because Edge for Android still has the great reading list feature.
Maybe people understand what I mean.
Spoiler

@corydien wrote:

@David Rubino 

How should I use the new version of Edge as my only browser when I still use the reading list feature on my mobile and on my pc. I try to use the new Edge, but I still have to use the normal Edge too.

You guys work hard on this browser but I can't understand why "Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo" is more important than a feature like reading list and a way to integrate it in the new Version and the Edge on Android.

@corydien 

Hi, Edge classic is not going anywhere, at least not until all of its special features are shipped to the new Edge browser so you can keep using it along with your Reading Lists, no problem.

Edge insider team are still exploring options as to how to implement the Reading List feature in here.

no one said that NTP background photo is more important or less :)

Thanks for your kind message.
The difference is Background photo is "planed for October" and reading list is "under review".
I'm just afraid I have to use a firefox soon for synchronising my stuff.
We all have different needs when use a browser, mine is not a background photo :D

@corydien 

Spoiler

@corydien wrote:
If I'm start using the new collection feature on the new Edge it will not sync with edge on my Android because Edge for Android still has the great reading list feature.
Maybe people understand what I mean.

Currently Collections syncing is not yet enabled on any of the platforms, but they've confirmed that it's on their to-do list.

Collections are for now an experimental feature that can only be enabled through flags.

Edge browser on Android would need to receive upgrades in order to support Collections.

@corydien 

Spoiler

@corydien wrote:
Thanks for your kind message.
The difference is Background photo is "planed for October" and reading list is "under review".
I'm just afraid I have to use a firefox soon for synchronising my stuff.
We all have different needs when use a browser, mine is not a background photo :D

You're welcome ^^

it's probably because it's easier to implement than Reading List :D

but for real, there are some suggestions to merge Collections and Reading list into one feature,

please review them and comment your own suggestions as well :)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Collections-feature-request-Let-us-mark-a-collect...

and

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Edge-Collections-Feature-request-and-bug-problem-...

Since I have installed Edge Chromium a while ago, I've noticed that when you clear browsing history, it doesn't clear the cache properly. The next time you start Edge, the address bar still contains the urls of the websites that you visited in your previous sessions. Never had that problem with the built-in Edge.

Something I'm still not seeing or maybe I missed, but I'd really like to be able to sync my Firefox with Edge Chromium so I don't have to continually use Firefox for everything I need. Edge Chromium just says it's not able to sync every time I try. @David Rubino 

@David RubinoWe need all the PDF functionality from the old Edge, including inking and text highlighting and those changes to be saved. I hope the new Edge doesn't launch without at least the same functionality in place.

@David Rubino 

This :

clipboard_image_0.png

is showing that it is "Under Review" for 7 weeks, for the last 4 weeks. (by my opinion this is sitting here for 13 weeks now)

- This is vital feature that is present on ALL MS browsers so far but they somehow not sure if they need to implement it here. Sad.