Top Feedback Summary for October 8

Microsoft

Note: This is no longer the most recent top feedback summary. You can always find the latest at https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback.

Hey everyone, back again with another update to our top feedback summary. This week we don’t have any newly addressed feedback, but we do have two new items on the list.

First, we’re hearing feedback that you are interested in seeing the OneNote Web Clipper extension in the Microsoft Edge Insider Addons store. We will look into the status of getting this extension into our store, but in the meantime you can install it from the Chrome Web Store. To do so, open Settings and more (…) and choose Extensions. If it’s not enabled already, toggle Allow extensions from other stores and when prompted choose Allow. Now you can install extensions from the Chrome Web Store including the OneNote Web Clipper.

We’re also getting feedback about feedback . . . specifically the ask to be able to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar. While we love getting your feedback, we’ll take this request under consideration and have a response soon.  

Here is the full updated list of top feedback:

Status

Feedback

On this list for

Planned for October

A round of improvements to scrolling experience, with more (including performance) to come down the line

7 weeks

Planned for October

Inking for PDF files

7 weeks

Planned for October

Provide the ability to change the title of tiles on the new tab page

7 weeks

Planned for October

Need for better handling of links when there is more than one profile

7 weeks

Planned for October

Option to set a custom photo as the New Tab Page background photo

7 weeks

Planned for November

Enable search in the extensions store

7 weeks

Under Review

Bring the OneNote Web Clipper to the Microsoft Edge extensions store

New!

Under Review

Provide an option to remove the send feedback “smiley” button from the toolbar

New!

Under Review

Opening a new tab is too slow

2 weeks

Under Review

Ask users if they want to close all tabs when they close a browser window

2 weeks

Under Review

Support mouse gestures for common actions like navigation and tab close

3 weeks

Under Review

Provide a transparent theme for the browser frame

3 weeks

Under Review

Add the ability to change the location for news content on the new tab page

5 weeks

Under Review

Some users are asking for a home button in Edge. Since we already have one, we could improve discoverability or just enable it by default.

5 weeks

Under Review

Touchpad two-finger scrolling is sometimes triggering a right click instead

5 weeks

Under Review

The address bar and its text are too big, and should be smaller like Chrome

5 weeks

Under Review

Add an option to hide the Bing search bar on the new tab page

7 weeks

Under Review

Allow the search bar in the new tab page to be configured with other search providers

7 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab set aside feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

7 weeks

Under Review

Bring the tab preview feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

7 weeks

Under Review

Bring the reading list feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

7 weeks

Under Review

Bring the Ask Cortana feature from the current version of Microsoft Edge

7 weeks

Under Review

Provide an option to set a custom URL for a new tab instead of showing the new tab page

7 weeks

Under Review

Update the user interface with the Fluent Design System

7 weeks

Under Review

Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge

7 weeks

Under Review

Support themes from the Chrome Web Store

7 weeks

Under Review

Allow sign-in to the browser with a Google account

7 weeks

Under Review

Provide different options for sorting favorites

7 weeks

Under Review

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

7 weeks

Quality Area

Bring more extensions to the extensions store

5 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less memory than it does

7 weeks

Quality Area

Edge should use less CPU than it does

7 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for web pages

7 weeks

Quality Area

Scrolling should feel smoother for PDF files

7 weeks

Quality Area

Update does not always work reliably

7 weeks

Definitions:

Addressed – Changes to address this feedback are visible to all users in the Canary and Dev channels

Planned for… – We’re working on this and currently plan for it to be addressed in the Canary channel before the end of the month indicated

Under Review – We are reviewing this feedback internally and do not have a plan to share at this time.

Quality Area – We will give extra weight to fixes and opportunities in this area. Please continue to report specific bugs and make specific asks. 

31 Replies

@David Rubino 

While we love getting your feedback, we’ll take this request under consideration and have a response soon.  

Speaking of response soon, can we please have a response soon on how the UI is going to be changed? There have been requests to bring back the menu buttons layout like how old edge was and to make the InPrivate button blue and square. Can we please have a response. I for one would like to see it be much closer to the old edge than google chrome.

@David Rubino 

Thank you!

for the Canary folks reading this, you can go ahead and remove Send Feedback smiley button from the toolbar already if you're on the latest update: 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Now-you-can-Hide-the-Feedback-Smiley-button-in-Ed...

so not sure why Mr. Rubino said that they are still considering it!

anyway :)

Here we go again:

Please don't pass the google integration, keep this browser Pure from data miner companies.

Thank you!

@HotCakeX good eye!  You can also right-click the smiley itself to hide it, just like the favorites menu button.  

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

@HotCakeX good eye!  You can also right-click the smiley itself to hide it, just like the favorites menu button.  

Thank you! hopefully collections button will get the same treatment

@David Rubino  actually I sent a feedback about the automatic screenshot when you use the feedback button always appears all black, I don't know if you're working on it, because I'm eager to send you more feedback.

@HotCakeX wrote:

@David Rubino 

Thank you!

for the Canary folks reading this, you can go ahead and remove Send Feedback smiley button from the toolbar already if you're on the latest update: 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Now-you-can-Hide-the-Feedback-Smiley-button-in-Ed...

so not sure why Mr. Rubino said that they are still considering it!

anyway :)

Here we go again:

Please don't pass the google integration, keep this browser Pure from data miner companies.

Thank you!

@HotCakeX 

Whoa... Was reading this and seeing the Mr. Smiley being able to be removed from tool bar and I look up and he is gone!!  EEEEkkkk..   I want him right where he was.. Fortunately you can find him under "Help and Feedback" and right click to show on tool bar..... 

And I agree.... Lets keep the "Data Miners" (Google) out of here!

Dennis5mile

@David Rubino I CANNOT believe that I still have to manually pull up the handwriting input panel when I'm using my Surface with a pen! 

@joshcsmith13 I agree. Pen/ink support for address bar would be a step in the "natural digital" direction :) (And I just posted feedback about it)

@David Rubino We really need current Microsoft features for edge pdf reader like highlights. Microsoft Edge is the best pdf reader right now for many users and people like me work a lot with that. please bring it to the new MS Edge and please add an inside pdf translator, that would be great! Thank you!

@David Rubino Are there any plans to offer being simultaneously authenticated with different accounts in different tabs?  Specifically, I use multiple Azure tenants at the same time and struggle to keep them separate because of credential context bleed.  While the browser does, if you will, cache login status for different creds, it gets confused if I try and work in different tenants at the same time.  To get around this I use a "normal" and InPrivate window, but I also have to use other browsers as this trick only gives me two authenticated contexts.  It would be super helpful to be able to have a different security/auth context for different tabs, or at least different private sessions (although I am aware of the potential security concerns there).  I'd love to hear your thoughts on this as I am sure I am not the first to ask ;)

@Andy Burbidge 

@Andy Burbidge wrote:

@David Rubino Are there any plans to offer being simultaneously authenticated with different accounts in different tabs?  Specifically, I use multiple Azure tenants at the same time and struggle to keep them separate because of credential context bleed.  While the browser does, if you will, cache login status for different creds, it gets confused if I try and work in different tenants at the same time.  To get around this I use a "normal" and InPrivate window, but I also have to use other browsers as this trick only gives me two authenticated contexts.  It would be super helpful to be able to have a different security/auth context for different tabs, or at least different private sessions (although I am aware of the potential security concerns there).  I'd love to hear your thoughts on this as I am sure I am not the first to ask ;)

Hi,

I suggested something like this about a month ago but for some reason it wasn't paid enough attention to, I think that it would fix your problem if it was implemented

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Block-cookies-sharing-between-Different-InPrivate...

@David Rubino 

Environment friendly feedback - aka recycled since none of it has been done and is  blocking for a browser change

1. Google integration - No thanks. I value privacy - not Google profit

2. Fix the favorites icon - it's still the wrong one

3. Add these buttons to the favorites menu 

clipboard_image_0.png

3. prevent mouse button hijacking

4. Fix Epub

@HotCakeX 

I would like to be able to do the same with the profile button. It's kind of useless in restricted environments where no cloud accounts are allowed

True, I think they better add the option to remove it via Group Policy in the policy config files then for restricted environments

@David Rubino 

Hi, Please take this issue - "Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge" on priority. Please make it squared like original Edge or Firefox. It would really help in focusing browser content and remove UI fatigue. Thanks.

@David Rubino 

Will there be options to hide Profile button as well on toolbar in future?

@basil3143 

Spoiler

@basil3143 wrote:

@David Rubino 

Hi, Please take this issue - "Make tabs more square and less rounded, like the current version of Microsoft Edge" on priority. Please make it squared like original Edge or Firefox. It would really help in focusing browser content and remove UI fatigue. Thanks.

I like how it is now...

it's barely even 1 pixel curve, almost all modern programs and UI use smooth edges and not sharp ones.

I'm sorry, but "a priority"? squared/rounded corners? WOW UI Fatigue?? WOW This is more the last thing that gets done before it goes Live... little cosmetic touchups.... Please don't get hurt feelings if you feel like they are not answering your wish. They have a ton of features and problems to fix before it goes live, but be assured, that if enough folks request this in the end it will happen, but probably not until everything else is taken care of......

Dennis5mile

@David Rubino 

You guys are the best microsoft. You listened to feedback and made the InPrivate icon square. Now all that's left to do is color it blue and it's done. It'll look even better if it was colored in blue similar to old edge and internet explorer.

Inprivate text vs.png