Start Microsoft Edge quickly with startup boost

Microsoft

Note: We are in the process of releasing this feature, so it may be a little while before you see it in your respective channel and build.

We have developed a new feature called startup boost to improve browser launch time. This feature runs a set of core Microsoft Edge processes in the background, so Microsoft Edge is quickly available when you need it.

Experimentation in Stable channel, comparing Microsoft Edge with startup boost enabled vs not enabled, shows startup times improve ranging from 29% to 41% when startup boost is enabled*. This means when you launch Microsoft Edge with startup boost enabled you'll see the website you're looking for faster.

Startup boost works by keeping a few Microsoft Edge processes running when the browser is not visible. This allows Microsoft Edge to start more quickly when, for example, you click the Microsoft Edge icon, a hyperlink from another application, or search from the search box in the Task Bar. We developed heuristics based on experimentation to determine when startup boost is on by default which helps ensure the best experience. We know resource usage is important to our customers. Startup boost does not add any additional resources when Microsoft Edge browser windows are open. When Microsoft Edge is closed, a set of core Microsoft Edge processes will continue to run to enable faster launches in the future. You may see browser, GPU, Network, CrashPad, or other processes running in the background. Experimentation has shown these processes have a minimal resource footprint. In addition, we are monitoring and targeting different device classes to ensure performance is being improved, not regressed. Finally, we want to give you agency over your browser’s performance, startup boost can be enabled or disabled at any time.

We want to thank all the Insiders who have sent us feedback and shared their experience with startup boost!

Startup boost was first released in Stable channel 88.0.705.53 on Windows devices. If you experience any issue while using this feature, please let us know through Microsoft Edge by pressing Shift+Alt+I on a Windows device or going to Settings and more … > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

Please also join us here on the Microsoft Edge Insider forums or Twitter to discuss your experience or send us your feedback through the browser! If you have any questions, see our FAQ or reach out to us. We hope you enjoy this exciting new feature and look forward to hearing from you!

- The Microsoft Edge Product Team

* Startup times improved across percentiles.

81 Replies
I look forward to it. I really should log in more to Tech Community. I signed up a long time ago and don't login.

Witamy Serdecznie i zapraszamy !

Dziękuję!

Welcome and welcome!

Thank you!

Uso Edge y desde su comienzo me atrapo.
Cada día me agrada más
Lo he probado en distintos equipos y con diferentes ediciones de Windows 10 y Windows 7 y en Android y la verdad es que lo disfruto.
No importa el equipo o el sistema, Microsoft Edge en cualquiera de sus versiones y/o canales (CAN, DEV, Beta, Final) nunca me ha defraudado.

Gracias por el esfuerzo y por cada implementación para mejorarlo aun mas.

@OmarPlastina 

I only speak english

Good but for little configuration this is more time for start Windows. Why don't use technologie of Internet Explorer for Start fastly ? Integrate to Kernel ?

@ChromeRefugee why even using CCleaner it's the worst 

CCleaner It's not worst, People use this software incorrectly. Big Difference!
Whenever there is a web app running in background its not even takes a second to load a new window.
cześć !
Cieszę się że też widzisz przyspieszenie Edge !
Długo czekaliśmy na takie ulepszenie !
dzięki
Wyjaśni dlaczego ludzie według ciebie nie potrafią korzystać z CCleaner ?
Ja myślę że CCleaner jest mi nie potrzebny i na pewno bierze zasoby !

Witam !
Twoje pochwały są mile widziane , ale doświadczenia nie zawsze dają dobry efekt !
Nie jest możliwe aby we wszystkich kanałach Edge był doskonały !
Ja teraz chciałem napisać ten post i 1 raz miałem Edge zamrożony !
potem dodam zrzut ekranu .
Wystarczy że załadowałem aktualizację Windows i nie zakończyła się ponownym uruchomieniem i już jest błąd , ale nie można oceniać tego jednego zdarzenia jako
wadę Edge bo za chwilę wszystko będzie dobrze !
Zmiany oprogramowanie to stały proces !
Pozdrawiam i dziękuję

Hello @Bill Goodbody 
One of the virtues of Microsoft Edge is that if you select a paragraph and right-click, the option to translate it into your language appears,

-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
translation of my answer:

I use Edge and from the beginning I get caught.
I like it more every day
I have tried it on different computers and with different editions of Windows 10 and Windows 7 and on Android and the truth is that I enjoy it.
No matter the equipment or the system, Microsoft Edge in any of its versions and / or channels (CAN, DEV, Beta, Final) has never let me down.

Thanks for the effort and for each implementation to improve it even more.

-------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------

Have a nice day!

I remember once when I was using edge canary in Google Meet lecture that time when i started screen sharing the Edge Canary was crashed.
Hola @Deleted
Ud tiene razón, nada es perfecto y siempre puede haber un error, pero si bien la ultima gota derrama el vaso, no siempre es culpa de esa gota.
Según entiendo de su respuesta el sistema venia de una actualización, no es que quiera justificar, solo digo que eso podía haber pasado con cualquier otro navegador.
Por lo general siempre hago una lista de los pro y los contras y luego las comparo con los otros navegadores, Edge siempre sale ganando.
No lo tome como que soy el dueño de la verdad, solo es la opinión de un usuario.

Que disfrute de un buen día!!!

I explain !
I too am a regular user – my feedback is private and is provided for review by the Tech Community and the Microsoft Team!
I'm here because I like Edge and wants it to be better - I try to be impartial in my opinions!
I rate your vote very well
But unfortunately the Edge translation from your language -- into my system language doesn't work in
Edge
The development of all languages as a translation is currently unattainable - I would add
screenshot where you will not see the possibility of translating into Polish of your post!
Of course I explain it by another method and it's ok!
Have a nice day

Hello

it's seems like this feature is killing web app debugging in visual studiow with edge beta browser (90.0.818.8 ) , when I turned this off by GPO or killed background processes, debug has been successful, otherwise ...

Error:

Failed to launch debug adapter. Additional information may be available in the output window.

Cannot connect to runtime process, timeout after 10000 ms - (reason: Cannot connect to the target: connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:5266).

It's great to be able to clear selective cookies. You can whitelist login cookies from sites that you trust, and then with one click clear all other cookies. And while at it you can clear the browser cache, but that you can already do inside Edge. I don't use any of the other features, but the selective cookie clearing is useful.

Hola @Deleted 

Ud hizo la selección del texto y al dar clic con botón derecho no aparece la opción "Traducir selección"?

Wybrałeś tekst i po kliknięciu prawym przyciskiem nie pojawia się opcja „Przetłumacz zaznaczenie”?

OmarPlastina_0-1615994457467.png

Respecto a mi entusiasmo Ud tiene razón, a veces no me doy cuenta y pierdo la imparcialidad

Co do mojego entuzjazmu, masz rację, czasami nie zdaję sobie z tego sprawy i tracę swoją bezstronność

@Deleted 

Spójrz na ten obrazek...

(Mire esta imagen..)

OmarPlastina_0-1615995815548.png

(Todas las respuestas que están en ingles, la puedo ver en español, pero la suya solo aparece en Polaco, para entender lo que me esta diciendo tengo que seleccionar y traducirla individualmente
En la imagen anterior solo deje una parte para que se note la diferencia
Que disfrute de un buen día!!!)

Wszystkie odpowiedzi po angielsku, widzę po hiszpańsku, ale twoja pojawia się tylko po polsku, żeby zrozumieć, co mówisz, muszę to zaznaczyć i przetłumaczyć indywidualnie
Na poprzednim obrazku pozostaw tylko część, aby różnica została zauważona
Miłego dnia !!!

Dziękuję !
Jest mi bardzo miło ! Że zostałem zrozumiany !
Jestem tu od niedawna , ale warto tu być !
Powodzenia !
Andrzej