Start Microsoft Edge quickly with startup boost

Microsoft

Note: We are in the process of releasing this feature, so it may be a little while before you see it in your respective channel and build.

We have developed a new feature called startup boost to improve browser launch time. This feature runs a set of core Microsoft Edge processes in the background, so Microsoft Edge is quickly available when you need it.

Experimentation in Stable channel, comparing Microsoft Edge with startup boost enabled vs not enabled, shows startup times improve ranging from 29% to 41% when startup boost is enabled*. This means when you launch Microsoft Edge with startup boost enabled you'll see the website you're looking for faster.

Startup boost works by keeping a few Microsoft Edge processes running when the browser is not visible. This allows Microsoft Edge to start more quickly when, for example, you click the Microsoft Edge icon, a hyperlink from another application, or search from the search box in the Task Bar. We developed heuristics based on experimentation to determine when startup boost is on by default which helps ensure the best experience. We know resource usage is important to our customers. Startup boost does not add any additional resources when Microsoft Edge browser windows are open. When Microsoft Edge is closed, a set of core Microsoft Edge processes will continue to run to enable faster launches in the future. You may see browser, GPU, Network, CrashPad, or other processes running in the background. Experimentation has shown these processes have a minimal resource footprint. In addition, we are monitoring and targeting different device classes to ensure performance is being improved, not regressed. Finally, we want to give you agency over your browser’s performance, startup boost can be enabled or disabled at any time.

We want to thank all the Insiders who have sent us feedback and shared their experience with startup boost!

Startup boost was first released in Stable channel 88.0.705.53 on Windows devices. If you experience any issue while using this feature, please let us know through Microsoft Edge by pressing Shift+Alt+I on a Windows device or going to Settings and more … > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

Please also join us here on the Microsoft Edge Insider forums or Twitter to discuss your experience or send us your feedback through the browser! If you have any questions, see our FAQ or reach out to us. We hope you enjoy this exciting new feature and look forward to hearing from you!

- The Microsoft Edge Product Team

* Startup times improved across percentiles.

81 Replies
The improvement is noteworthy and it's snappy.
Thanks for your response! I am so happy to hear you are enjoying the new feature!
If only opening new tabs could be made snappier, it would be awesome.

@Andrew_Nolan 

Deep regret about these change, why not leave the choice to the user rather than brute force change. 

Often I placed the browser to half or quarter screen to make room with another window app. now I cannot see the horizontal tab. 

Most of Tab is present for long term for many months and I know where there are since it act as a reminder. 

I stick to Chrome longer for now until this put back.

Witam
Potwierdzam przyspieszenie ładowania Edge - jeszcze jeszcze jeszcze się do sprawywysoki na chwilowe na chwilach witrynach !
Ja zmiany bardzo lubię - podobają mi się pionowe karty w nowym Edge- doskonale i intuicyjnie !
Dziękuję za ulepszenia są potrzebne.

Dodam o jakiej Wersja Edge pisze

Hello
I confirm the acceleration of loading Edge - still still up to the matter high for a while on the sites!
I like the changes very much - I like vertical cards in the new Edge- perfectly and intuitively!
Thank you for the improvements you need.

I'll add about what version edge writes

I like startup boost but the loading of the new tab page is still not fast enough. When loading from startup, no matter what you do Edge will always shine a white window before going to the dark window, and that's kind of annoying, especially when you are using a system wide dark mode.

Hello
Partially confirm the white light, not on all cards!
How to run Edge - lights up and how to develop favorites.
I see a big loading and page
bank version - desktop again works with Edge is to make a big progress - Edge team is working better and better.
Thank you very much

Good feature, but it introduces a problem: an app like CCleaner which can be used to clear select cookies now always complains that Edge is still running, and then fails to close Edge. It took me a while to realize that this is caused by Startup Boost. Is this issue something that CCleaner can fix on their own, or is this something that will require changes by both the Edge team and CCleaner?

Good morning, I haven't had CCleaner for many years because Windows 10 has excellent disk cleanup tools! Edge is so carefully prepared to make settings that it clears files and files in the cache - according to the user's settings! It requires manual settings - but it works reliably and doesn't affect the functionality of the new Edge! In my opinion, Windows 10 does not require any additional tools! Edge's extensive settings allow for many individual settings - giving maximum user satisfaction and really working very well!
I recommend New Edge. Thank you very much "

Translating that from Polish I get

"Good morning, I haven't had CCleaner for many years because Windows 10 has excellent disk cleanup tools! Edge is so carefully prepared to enter the settings that it cleans cookies and cached files - according to user settings! It requires manual settings - but it works reliably and doesn't affect the functionality of the new Edge! In my opinion, Windows 10 does not require any additional utilities! Edge's extensive settings allow many individual settings - giving maximum user satisfaction and it really works very well!
I recommend New Edge. Thank you very much "

To which I say: yes, you can clear history and cookies in Edge, but it purges ALL cookies at once, meaning the next time you visit e.g. a forum, you'll have to log in again. CCleaner allows you to whitelist cookies for your favorite sites, while purging all others. IMO this is a great feature that I'd love to see implemented in Edge. Until then, I'll keep using CCleaner, but ATM that requires that I disable Startup Boost, close Edge, run CCleaner, start Edge, and re-enable Startup Boost. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice if this wasn't necessary.

Thank you very much for your reply!
informs that The New Edge currently has settings that can be customized for any site and does not need to clean all cookies!
The truth is that these settings need to be done manually - if they are not the default, but it can be compared to a whitelist!
I understand the habits of your favorite programs and i support it!
I just try to make the most of existing tools in the system and the New Edge - which allows a lot of customization and personalization of settings!
Yours sincerely!
I'll add a few screenshots.

@Andrew_Nolan , after updating MS Edge to version 89.0.774.4 I've noticed same issue occured in Google Chrome a few weeks ago that time is wrong in many sites like Gmail, Whatsapp and others. For example I've sent an e-mail from my company mailbox to my personal at Gmail at 03:00PM and it shows 09:00PM. I tried to clean all MS Edge cache and update to 89.0.774.48 but no success.

Thanks for letting us know you are enjoying the feature!
Thanks for reporting, the team is aware and working on resolving that.

Hi
Thank you!
Today I loaded a non-standard fix build Edge because I see that good
the direction I wrote now I write from my favorite computer that has only 2 G of RAM in this way I check edge - great method of software testing = if with such a low performance computer works with Edge it is OK!
With!

I'll see what's in this compilation!

Hello
Partially confirm the white light, not on all cards!
How to run Edge - lights up and how to develop favorites.
I see a big loading and page
bank version - desktop again works with Edge is to make a big progress - Edge team is working better and better.
Thank you very much

How does one know if it is in effect?

Hello
Acceleration is on several
computers I do not have documentation, but describes your experience!
There were mistakes, and now silence - I'm glad!
Thank you

Now to the next Edge Build I'll add a screenshot:

How do you tell it's in effect?