Personalize Microsoft Edge with built-in theme colors

Microsoft

A few weeks ago, we officially kicked off our theming journey with the release of two dozen themes on the Microsoft Edge Add-on site. These themes allow you to change the look and feel of your browser profile with colors and imagery inspired by Microsoft 365 and some of your favorite Xbox franchises like Halo, Sea of Thieves, Microsoft Flight Simulator, and more. Sometimes, however, you just want a splash of color. Today, we’re excited to announce that we’ve made it even easier to personalize Edge with 14 brand new theme colors in Settings.

Icy Mint.jpg

Beginning with today’s Dev channel update, we’ve updated the Appearance page in Settings to make it easier than ever to theme your browser. The Overall appearance section changes the primary look of the browser, including new tabs, pages, dialogs, and other menus. By default, Edge will try to match the appearance of your operating system, but if you prefer to always live in light or dark mode you can do that too. Like other Chromium browsers, this setting applies to all of your profiles.

Dark.jpg

To add a splash of color to your tabs, address bar, and other parts of the browser, simply select any of the color swatches in the Theme section. Edge comes with 14 theme colors to fit your every mood, from various shades of gray to fun and playful colors. These themes are unique to each profile and are great for helping you quickly understand whether you’re in your personal, work, or school profile.

Cool Slate Dark.jpg

Pro tip: You can also show the theme color on the New Tab Page by opening a new tab, clicking on the Page Settings button (Settings.png) in the top-right corner, and selecting Custom > Custom theme.

We’ve also made it easier to discover more custom themes on the Microsoft Edge Add-on site, allowing you to personalize Edge with an even wider range of themes. And when you install a custom theme from a store, a new swatch for the theme will appear near the end of the theme list. As with the built-in theme colors, simply select Default or another color to remove or change your theme.

Custom Theme.jpg

We’ve been humbled by the excitement we’ve seen for themes over the last few weeks, and we’re thrilled to introduce even more ways to personalize Edge. Some of our eagle-eyed Insiders may have noticed us building this feature behind a flag in recent weeks. Thank you for all of the feedback and comments you’ve shared with us so far! Please continue sharing your thoughts via the Send Feedback tool (Alt+Shift+I) and in the comments, and stay tuned for more updates on themes in the future.

William Devereux, Senior Program Manager, Microsoft Edge

21 Replies
These are really great, thank you for including them into Edge.

what I really want is to have a feature for Edge browser (not other Chromium based browsers with different UI), to make my own theme for it.
choose color for vertical tabs, address bar, texture for the theme etc. also the ability to pot these user created content to Themes section of MS Addons store so that people can use each others' themes, rate them and enjoy.

Thanks! I agree, this would be awesome to have.
It would be nice to be able to adjust colors per profile also.
The built-in colour choices kill other features like greyed out sleeping/discarded/unloaded tab titles (in vertical tabs mode). All tabs look the same when using a colour theme.

@William Devereux There's a issue with Edge streaming Netflix shows. It works all fine logging in and browsing trending shows, until I start to play any. Please fix it.

This is just perfect. Thanks.
Can't you already have different colors for each profile? I have different colors.

@kyleh356 

@kyleh356 wrote:

@William Devereux We need acrylic back.

Yes, This! ^

I can only dream of having it in the new Edge...

Yes, that’s correct. Light/dark is a global setting, but different theme colors can be applied to each profile.
Sweet.

Just make it applicable on separate profiles and on the icon too, so I can tell which profile is which as the profile picture is too small to tell which is which

@William Devereux 

Thanks for the new feature. I'm always a fan of simplicity.
But I think there should be an option to select a color specifically for dark/light mode.

As I use dark mode at night and light mode during the day and 'System Default' as overall appearance, it doesn't look well when dark mode is enabled with light toolbar colors or vice versa.

@luckz, I don't see that using themes affects sleeping tabs. It is harder to see the favicons in some cases if the favicon color is similar to the theme color, but they still dim for sleeping tabs, whether across the top or using vertical tabs. At least for me when using the color themes.

@William Devereux 

For me themes does not work.

I installed one from the "store" but it does not show up in the appearance page (edge://settings/appearance) as shown on your screen capture (like "Halo").

If I try to install it again, I get an error saying "Already installed".

CodeKiller_0-1618065123164.png

CodeKiller_1-1618065156779.png

@Colin - I'm not talking about the favicon but about the tab title. The title is dimmed/faded/greyed out using the default themes.

luckz_0-1618239953649.pngluckz_1-1618239974165.png

And it's not when using any sort of colour theme.

luckz_2-1618240024835.pngluckz_3-1618240052471.png

Yes, favicon dimming still works.

What I would REALLY like to see you develop is an absolute KILLER WALLPAPER CHANGER to go with themes. One that is intuitive, easy to use, with the ability to save the pictures to a folder. Look at what's available on the web and add the best features to yours. You guys are MS engineers. You are the best! I am sure you can do it.
Herb
I hope the rumors are true. Microsoft Edge soon offers a user define color theme from the color spectrum? This would make the now beautifully presented 14 colors to choose from a fifteenth exciting possibility.
Nevertheless your office has done great thus far.
I love the new themes. Bye.

@HotCakeX well u could make on https://www.themebeta.com/ and install 

@Buyahhaha555 Really love themebeta.com as well, I created a nice theme for Edge through the site using the Sunset picture with a horse from the custom wallpapers from Microsoft.

Shawnloveshorses161_0-1649201649800.png