Make Microsoft Edge your own with themes

Microsoft

Browsers are very personal. Much of what we do on a computer happens in a web browser, and like anything you use frequently it’s important to be able to make it your own. We’ve heard your requests to make Edge more personal with themes, and today we’re excited to announce that we’ve added over two dozen themes to the Microsoft Edge Add-ons site.

Themes change the look and feel of your browser to create a beautiful and immersive visual experience. They can also be helpful for distinguishing your different profiles to help you separate home, school or work accounts. When you apply a theme, you’ll notice a new background on your new tab page. Your tabs, address bar, and other parts of the browser will also take on the look of the theme for a more immersive experience. We’ve even added support for vertical tabs, a new feature you Insiders have been helping us test.

You’ll find a wide variety of launch themes in the Add-ons site to help you show off your current mood or interest. We’ve also partnered with Xbox to offer themes from your favorite franchises, including Halo, Gears, Forza, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and more. All of these themes are available exclusively in Microsoft Edge. And if you don’t find one you want, you can also install themes from other stores, including the Chrome Web Store.

Of course, this is just the beginning. We’ll continue growing our collection of themes, and in the coming months we’ll be adding support for anyone to submit their own themes. Soon, you’ll even be able to select a theme color directly from the Edge Settings as well.

Themes make Microsoft Edge more personal and fun, and we’re so excited to hear what you think. Let us know which theme is your favorite in the comments! And keep an eye on the Microsoft Edge Add-ons site for more themes in the future.

William Devereux, Senior Program Manager, Microsoft Edge

61 Replies

@William Devereux 

You might want to look at this post over here

Dennis5mile

It woudl be nice if you can have more than one background in each theem like the wonderwoman

@William Devereux 

This is great, but I'd like to see a small platform in Addons store where users can make themes and share them on the store, without knowing how to code.
other people can download user-created themes, rate them etc.

this will be great for Edge browser and people will love it.

https://www.themebeta.com/chrome-theme-creator-online.html

This is a great example, it would be great for starters, the person can pick a image they want and have a eye picker to pick the color.

@William Devereux 

Would be nice to see themes that modify more than window frame/new tab page.(e.g. like settings page, context menus etc.

That would be nice, but it would have to be a less coloured level since it would be hard to read if everything is the same color, I guess. Like how it does dark and light themes?

@William Devereux  Cool Feature  & Liked  

We have a fix for this that should be rolling out soon. Thanks to everyone who reported it!
Hi William,

Just one thing, have you noticed that some of the thems are making some UI in the browser invisible or hard to read?
As of Version 89.0.774.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) today, the download icon has been fixed for me... It is back to what it should be... Cool.. All things come to those with patients...

Dennis5mile
Hi William, sorry to send another message but I just noticed there is a bug in stable edge with the themes. For some reason, my new tab is putting back the bing image of the day, the themes on the menu bars URL bar, are still themed but in the new tab it isnt'. The settings shows advanced - custom theme. I have to pick image of the day an dback to theme custom to make it work. THen after I close edge tab and reopen, it happens again.

Thank you and have sent feedback,

Shawn
These theme have been made with some effort and are not from chrome. After several days of trying I am not using theme because they did not change address bar and menu.

The idea of user creating themes easily without coding requirement appeals to me.

Can you please make it so that the custom image on new tab page that we upload ( not to be confused with custom theme ) is not darkened a bit like it currently is?

Can you provide light theme for inprivate mode like original edge did?

What appeals to me is the idea of using edge out of box with no customisation. It is not a looker anymore ever since chromium was adopted. I sometimes saved images when I came across edgeHtml version. Not here. That needs to be changed.

I digress but this is also a reason a native adblocker is needed that is switched on by default. Most chrome users probably don't use adblocker, so when they try edge they'll get a clutter free feel they don't get in chrome.

Finally, menus must be made shorter, more visual and approachable. Opera does it best among all browsers.
Hello,

Those are very great suggestions; it would be great if you can send some feedback about those suggestions!!

Shawn

It Would Be Very Nice If We Can See The Themes On Edge Pages  /Edge Urls Like The Settings Page Also!!

Absolutely! the grey color isn't consistent with the rest of the UI when we install a theme.

The new Themes are awesome. I am experiencing some weird behavior on one of my machines. Tab bar does not pick up Theme Color.  On one PC it looks perfect, on another it doesn't. Why would the tab bar not pick up the Theme Color?

Hi,

This is just a opinion, I love the new themes but it is kinda borring seeing the same thing over and over. I love the theme colors but the themes needs to be have more background with more slideshow like the WonderWoman Theme. I rather have a color picker that may or not be rolled out instead of just one backgruond. The new images of Bing each day is way better.

Thank You,

Anyone prefering this, please upvote by sharing this feedabck usnig Edge!!

THANKYOU

SHawnNNNWWN
I want Themes to have textures and patterns, and not just simple colors, also the new tab page image isn't really useful for me as I always use my own image for NTP
Yes, I agree. The themes are currently just to make the header of edge look nice and a nice picture in new tab. That isnt' good since first of all it gets borring. The bing image or my own image is much better. Second, it dosent' change everyday :(

Just like the colors and some patterns would look awesome!! Maybe a surf theme ;0