Known Issue – Microsoft Edge Launching on Startup

Deleted
Not applicable

Greetings Insiders,

Join us in gathering information about a new issue that our team is investigating.

What we know so far

We've heard from our community that some versions of Microsoft Edge are automatically launching whenever users start their PCs and log into Windows, regardless of their selection in edge://settings/onStartup. It’s currently unknown whether there are any accompanying behavioral changes with this bug.

If this is something that you're experiencing with Microsoft Edge, we want to know in the comments below! And if you’d like to roll up your sleeves and start the debugging process with us, we’d love your assistance.

How to help

To help our devs understand and address this as quickly as possible, we ask that you kindly share diagnostic data through our secure in-browser feedback tool. So, if you're familiar with your device’s command prompt, please run the following steps to create and submit additional log files.  

1. Open the command prompt from an Admin account – Press the Windows key then type in “cmd” or “command prompt” into the search. You’ll see a black window open.

1. Enable Logging – run these two commands (hint: the second is one line)
auditpol.exe /set /subcategory:"Process Creation" /failure:enable /success:enable

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Audit /v ProcessCreationIncludeCmdLine_Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0x1 /f

1. Save all open files, Reboot your PC and log in 

1. Create and Save the log file – Open Powershell as an admin and run the following command
Get-WinEvent -FilterHashTable @{LogName="Security"; ID="4688"} | fl > c:\users\edgelogfile.txt

1. Open the feedback tool and attach the file c:\users\edgelogfile.txt

A. Open the feedback tool by holding down the keys Shift+Alt+I, or by navigating through the "…" menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

B. In the pop-up, please ensure that "Send diagnostic data" is checked

C. To attach a file, click the diagnostic date hyperlink*

fawkes_0-1591920302443.png

*Note: some users may see a different version of the tool that has a second button at the bottom for adding attachments directly

D. In the next feedback window, select "Attach a file," then "Choose file to upload"

E. After attaching c:\users\edgelogfile.txt, click "Save and include"

fawkes_1-1591920302446.png

F. Then back in the first window, be sure to hit "Send"

6. Clean up - from an Admin Command Prompt run these three commands 

auditpol.exe /set /subcategory:"Process Creation" /failure:disable /success:disable

reg delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Audit /v ProcessCreationIncludeCmdLine_Enabled /f

del /f c:\users\edgelogfile.txt

Thanks for your help. We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Microsoft Edge Product Team

25 Replies
Same thing happens to me, but worse, it relaunches itself every time I close it. Problem is with "Startup Boost" option because when I turn it off, the problem goes away. The bug has persisted for a long time now and it still hasn't been patched. :\
i had the same issue but turning off the option for start up boost it still launches though not as often but then so does pot player nox player and everything else which was open just before i shut down or do a restart. what used to switch everything off and you were left to manually relaunch everything now everything launches itself.

cheers to the AI of the world keep going about the scheduled business assigned to you and then promptly decide to switch it up and do something wild for the begining of the summer

hope everyone is staying safe and helping out their neighbours and local businesses who need to sell us more coffee and no food

have faith in thge boffins trying to save the day and **bleep** china

peaceful life

Adrian
I'm confused. I thought that if you clicked on a response to the photo that pops up, Edge was SUPPOSED to open automatically and tell you all kinds of cool and unlooked-for stuff about that location. I haven't liked it, but it's not enough of a nuisance to worry about. I just close the browser and use my usual browsers (which are NOT Edge).

Tell me how to stop Edge from opening when my computer wakes up. I was hoping to do something else with my life other than trying to figure this out. What is it with you people? You've done a great job at turning me and a lot of people off your company. 

It hasn't happened to me yet. I think it's because you have to disable it as a startup app! :smile:

No problem now and it is not the reason you said, either.