Known Issue – Microsoft Edge Launching on Startup

Deleted
Not applicable

Greetings Insiders,

Join us in gathering information about a new issue that our team is investigating.

What we know so far

We've heard from our community that some versions of Microsoft Edge are automatically launching whenever users start their PCs and log into Windows, regardless of their selection in edge://settings/onStartup. It’s currently unknown whether there are any accompanying behavioral changes with this bug.

If this is something that you're experiencing with Microsoft Edge, we want to know in the comments below! And if you’d like to roll up your sleeves and start the debugging process with us, we’d love your assistance.

How to help

To help our devs understand and address this as quickly as possible, we ask that you kindly share diagnostic data through our secure in-browser feedback tool. So, if you're familiar with your device’s command prompt, please run the following steps to create and submit additional log files.  

1. Open the command prompt from an Admin account – Press the Windows key then type in “cmd” or “command prompt” into the search. You’ll see a black window open.

1. Enable Logging – run these two commands (hint: the second is one line)
auditpol.exe /set /subcategory:"Process Creation" /failure:enable /success:enable

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Audit /v ProcessCreationIncludeCmdLine_Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0x1 /f

1. Save all open files, Reboot your PC and log in 

1. Create and Save the log file – Open Powershell as an admin and run the following command
Get-WinEvent -FilterHashTable @{LogName="Security"; ID="4688"} | fl > c:\users\edgelogfile.txt

1. Open the feedback tool and attach the file c:\users\edgelogfile.txt

A. Open the feedback tool by holding down the keys Shift+Alt+I, or by navigating through the "…" menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

B. In the pop-up, please ensure that "Send diagnostic data" is checked

C. To attach a file, click the diagnostic date hyperlink*

fawkes_0-1591920302443.png

*Note: some users may see a different version of the tool that has a second button at the bottom for adding attachments directly

D. In the next feedback window, select "Attach a file," then "Choose file to upload"

E. After attaching c:\users\edgelogfile.txt, click "Save and include"

fawkes_1-1591920302446.png

F. Then back in the first window, be sure to hit "Send"

6. Clean up - from an Admin Command Prompt run these three commands 

auditpol.exe /set /subcategory:"Process Creation" /failure:disable /success:disable

reg delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\Audit /v ProcessCreationIncludeCmdLine_Enabled /f

del /f c:\users\edgelogfile.txt

Thanks for your help. We look forward to hearing from you!

- The Microsoft Edge Product Team

25 Replies

1. What would the settings in edge://settings/onStartup have to do with this at all?
2. Wouldn't this simply be from the Windows setting for automatically restarting apps on logon (under Accounts -> Sign-in options)?

我在昨天遇到了这个情况,但目前尚不明确为什么会这样。

Windows版本:18363.900

edge版本:版本 85.0.538.0 (官方内部版本) dev (64 位)

我会在中午进行日志提交

@Deleted  bugs 316808 - [WCTAP] Build 19624:200502 - after the update of the machine Edge is keeping opening and closing by itself I have raised this issue in connect portal. Will upload the details in the portal with extended logging enabled and once the issue reappear .. for me it happen 4-5 times during the work time , not only at the cold boot and login (that time it happen for sure)

@Deleted Have you rule out the users enabling "Restart Apps" under "Sign-in options"? because it sounds exactly like someone enabled the option hence Edge restart itself when you login to Windows. I actually had the opposite of the problem. I had the option enabled but it doesn't restart edge every single time, only 3-4 times out of 10.

@megablue I have the same problem: Edge doesn't always launch automatically. In my case, I have multiple instances of Edge Canary running at the same time - the windows are distributed across two monitors. Once, two windows normally side by side were relaunched one on top of the other. Another time, Edge Canary had not restarted automatically after a reboot. When I launched Edge, I got only one instance with a message telling me that Edge had not shut down properly and asking me if I wanted to restore those instances.

@Deleted I observed this behavior in default browsers like Internet Explorer and Legacy Microsoft Edge. The workaround was opening Settings->Accounts->Sign-in options and under Privacy , there is option called Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart and we could turn it off and then we observe this problem won't reproduce.

As I investigate, I observed that when user close down Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, it still running in background and has some session and even after shutdown, system assumes Internet Explorer was running and therefore when user turn on PC, they observe this behavior.

I recommend check this option and see if turn it off would solve the issue and if yes, it probably was the issue I observed in Legacy Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.

If anyone out there confirms if this fixes the issue for them??

@NicolSD i found the fix, disallow Edge from keeping the background process solved the issues for me. Even on Chromium/Chrome, the background process kind of not working reliably. It frequently treats the background process as last closed window hence forgetting the tabs that were opened when you closed your main browsing window or in this case, windows think it wasn't "running" when you shutdown because the background process were ended last. hence, when it reopens during a restart, it reopens only the background process.

@Deleted I hate to state the obvious, but can't Microsoft's own tools help here to trace up the process tree to find out which process is starting msedge.exe?

1) Autoruns by SysInternals might show what is autostarting it?

2) Failing that, can't you use SysInternal's Process Explorer to see what the parent process of msedge is, and trace through that what process started it (going up the process tree)? (Or Process Hacker or other similar tools)?

3) Alternatively Process Monitor and/or SysMon by SysInternals can be configured to monitor processes starting up, and that can of course be setup to run during boot etc. to catch an early process launch?

Mike

@Deleted Info: This is only a problem with chromium it self, not Edge. When I was 7, I had this problem in 2017 when I unwillingly installed chromium. I showed it to my mom, and she did not know what to do. We now know where the issue is coming from, Chromium, the source of New Edge, so we need to fiChromium, not Edge.

well it is fine after turning that thing you mentioned (from win 10 build 2004) off =)
problem solved

@Deleted i had this problem i fixed it when i have removed some restriction on the network (when the browser think there is a captive portal it launch itself on start).

It appears often in entreprise network who have a DNS filtering or a captive portal.

edit : if you want to test, configure on your router (or a dns server) who block all request to network, and restart your computer, edge will launch himself (tested only on w10 2004)

@Deleted I fixed this issue by digging up Edge in Task Manager, then I headed over to Startup and made it to "disable."

Mine always starts with the tabs that I have designated.

Microsoft Edge Launching on Startup

Edge Dev is automatically starting after re-boot. Worse, it's restarting every time I close the app, always showing a new tab page. I submitted feedback with diagnostics.
This has something to do with the Startup Boost feature. If I turn that off, Edge no longer restarts every time I close it.