Introducing web capture for Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

Since the release of the new Microsoft Edge, we have heard a lot of feedback about missing the web notes tool that allowed you to capture and mark up content across the web. Frankly, we’ve missed it too! But first, we wanted to make it better. While web notes was a great feature, there was also room for improvement. Many of you reported using it for capturing quick screenshots to copy or share, while others loved the ability to to mark-up full webpages with scrolling. So, we designed the new screenshot feature, web capture, with this in mind and are excited to introduce the basic screen capture functionality to our Dev and Canary builds. In the near future, you can expect to see more functionalities added to web capture, like adding ink or highlights to your captures, capturing full webpages, and scrolling while marking them.

To try it out, use the Settings and more menu (...) in the top right corner of the browser and select Web capture.

Picture1.png

When you open web capture, you can use the selection tool to capture just the content you want. We found that sometimes you want more than what you’re able to see on the webpage, so we have added the ability for you to select content lower down on the page. To do this, just hold down the selection tool and drag to the bottom of the page; the page will automatically start to scroll so that you can capture everything you need in one go.

Once you are done with the capture, you will see a menu with a couple of options: 'Copy' and 'Add notes'. Click Copy to add the image to your clipboard. It will then be available for you to paste into any application. If you want to mark up the screenshot with inking tools, select the Add notes option. You will see the image in a dialog box where you can draw on it, share, save and copy with your annotations. 

vygadeka_1-1612071231181.png

If you love web capture and want to access the tool more quickly, you can pin it directly to your browser toolbar.  Just right click on the option in the Settings and more menu (...) and select Show in toolbar. You can also use the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+S) to invoke web capture.

Try out the new tool and let us know what you think! We love hearing your feedback. From within Microsoft Edge, you can go to “…” menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback, or simply use the shortcut (Shift+Alt+I) to open the feedback tool.

- The Microsoft Edge Product Team

157 Replies

@LARRIE_COLE your captures are saved the same way as any download from the browser. In the default downloads folder or the folder that you chose while saving. 

As far as I can see there are no "tools" , there is only one, a free-hand drawing tool. There is no ability to "capture just the content you want", only click-and-drag to capture a rectangular section of the page. No ability to select any shape other than a rectangle. The eraser is all or nothing, you can't erase a portion of an element you drew, you have to remove the entire stroke and start over. You can only markup with a free-hand drawing tool, no ability to draw a rectangle or other shape and no highlighter. No ability to adjust transparency of the brush stroke either. The Web Capture tool acts more like the old Windows Snipping Tool rolled into Edge, but with even less functionality. You can't direct your captures to a specific folder, can't pass the capture on to Paint or another drawing app, can't capture video from the selected area of the screen, and can't print from within Web Capture.

MS should have bought-up Tech Smith's Snag-It years ago and incorporated it into the OS. You've had 30+ years to make (or acquire) a better capture and notation tool but somehow have avoided hitting that mark.

I am happy to see Web Capture come about, but disappointed with the limited feature set.

Be more like Avis. Try Harder.

@vygadeka  SEEMS I FOUND MY OWN ANSWER THANKS. LOCATION OF WEB CAPTURE FILES ARE AS FOLLOWS:  MicrosoftEdgeDownloads\5838b789-40c0-4698-adf3-f983161aa8fd

who new this would be so simple. this is a hidden file under apps. 

I like this in the Edge_Chromium browser of August 2022, however would it be possible to add a collection aspect to the feature? Where you can save screenshots together in a little folder, if you will? In-browser of cause.

@vygadeka - @pdelung and I have both reported the ongoing issue starting in 2021 and resurfaced the question in 2022 and there has yet to be a reply.

Is MS aware that the Web Capture full screen does not capture the full screen when on SharePoint sourced pages. It is a really, really annoying bug compounded by not knowing if it has be recognized as so and if there is a fix going to be developed.

For my use cases this bug prevents me from using the tool at all as I live in SharePoint.

@vygadeka Please reply and let us know.

Thanks.

@vygadeka How to enable web capture if it's not enabled?

Web capture for SharePoint frames, please.

@Justin-GOV - was there to be a link or something with your response?
I apologize. I thought I was replying to a reply. "This" was in reference to the reply I thought I was replying to.

I am interested in WebCapture for SharePoint frames. I am a SharePoint Developer in a GCC tenant and barring the feature to share drafts, I need a way to share SharePoint page mock-ups before publishing.
Ok... you got me excited thinking maybe MS finally addressed the SharePoint screen capture short coming in Edge. :) It's all good.. :)

getting back, that did not last long, web capture files are a pain to track and move. @LARRIE_COLE 

THATS THE PROBLEM, THEY SHOULD END UP BY DEFAULT IN DOWNLOADS FOLDER, THEY ARE NOT. SO, ITS A MATTER OF SEARCHING THROUGTH HIDDEN FILES. TO TRACK THEM. AND THEY MOVED .

@vygadeka 

I want to mention that Web capture scrolling does not work in Power Automate (Both regular or in-private browser)

Attempting to screen shot my entire flow is not possible with web capture for some reason.

I just want to be able to save as without having to share it to anything AND they say it is on the clipboard but I can't seem to access it :|

I haven't read through the other responses to see if anyone else has said this, but I thought this would be ideal for capturing the questions on a multi page web form, but the 'page capture' only captures the scope of the external image (the background) and the Microsoft Form that is embedded isn't captured. This says to me that it wouldn't work for embedded scrolled content at all (such as embedded scrollable PDFs in SharePoint)

Maybe an option for this could be allowing MS Forms to have a 'print a pdf of this form' so that those of us who need to see what questions are asked on multiple pages can do that without having to fill in gobbledygook onto the form just to get past the required fields.

@vygadeka What metadata is attached when sharing any web-capture. Ie Location and/or device details? 

@vygadeka "Capture full page" doesn't work on SharePoint sites. SharePoint is made by Microsoft. This is so typical. 🤦‍:male_sign:

@vygadeka  - 3 yrs out from this thread and still issue has not been addressed with this not working on SharePoint sites.... :unamused: