Introducing Sleeping Tabs Experiment: Improving Memory Usage in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

Note: We are in the process of deploying this feature, so it may be a little while before you see it in your respective channel and build.

To improve memory and CPU utilization of the browser, we've developed a feature called sleeping tabs.

Early internal testing of devices with sleeping tabs has shown a median memory usage reduction of 26% for Microsoft Edge. Our internal testing has also shown that a normal background tab uses 29% more CPU for Microsoft Edge than a sleeping tab. These resource savings should result in excellent battery savings. Although individual device performance varies depending on configuration and usage, we expect the decrease in resource and battery usage to create a better browsing experience for users.

Median memory usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devicesMedian memory usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devices

Average CPU usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devicesAverage CPU usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devices

Sleeping tabs builds upon the core of Chromium’s “freezing” technology. Freezing pauses a tab’s script timers to minimize resource usage. A sleeping tab resumes automatically when clicked, which is different than discarded tabs, which require the page to fully be reloaded.

We built upon the freezing technology to create sleeping tabs. This feature allows inactive background tabs to “go to sleep,” releasing system resources after a set amount of time. These resources include both memory and CPU and can be used for new or existing tabs or other applications running on your device.

By default, we’ve set tabs to go to sleep after two hours of inactivity. If two hours isn’t right for you, you can choose a different time interval in edge://settings/system. Tabs that are asleep will fade to let you know they’ve released resources. To resume a sleeping tab, click on it like a normal tab. The tab will un-fade and your content will be there immediately. You can also add sites you never want to sleep to a block list in Settings.

gif of several tabs open, with one fading to sleep, and 7 other tabs also fadinggif of several tabs open, with one fading to sleep, and 7 other tabs also fading

With this technology, it is possible that some sites may not work as expected after they go to sleep. We have built heuristics to detect these scenarios and prevent those tabs from sleeping to keep you in your flow. We are eager to get your feedback on sleeping tabs. If you experience a compat issue, please refresh the page and let us know through Microsoft Edge by pressing Shift+Alt+I on a Windows device or going to Settings and more … > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

Sleeping tabs will be coming soon to Canary and Dev Channels [87.0.649.0]. If you see the sleeping tabs feature while browsing, please join us here on the Microsoft Edge Insider forums or Twitter to discuss your experience, or send us your feedback through the browser! If you have any questions, see our FAQ or reach out to us. We hope you enjoy this exciting new feature and look forward to hearing from you!

- The Microsoft Edge Product Team

214 Replies

@Eleanor_HuynhIs there a way to import my current Edge profile into the Dev Channel release and vice versa?

@raimond2 

@raimond2 wrote:

Is there a way to import my current Edge profile into the Dev Channel release and vice versa?

Browser sync. sign in to your account in both browsers.

if you are talking about Edge legacy to Edge Dev then use the import feature:

edge://settings/importData

Thank you, will this also import all of my open tabs from Edge legacy into Edge Dev?

There is a checkbox for open tabs so yes I think so

@Eleanor_Huynh 

I haven't found any mention of PWA when it comes to Sleeping tabs, and I kinda think the answer is no, but to be sure I wanna ask, does sleeping tabs feature affect PWA windows that are open?

@HotCakeX, great question!  If PWAs are hidden, (i.e. occluded or minimized), they can go to sleep.  Hope that helps!

@mkoninin Thank you so much for sharing your experience and thoughts about the greyed out tabs. It is great feedback for our team. Looking forward to any future feedback you might have! 

Happy to hear this, @Dennis5mile! Thanks for sharing and continuing to help us test this feature out!

@raimond2 Thanks for this feedback! There are discarded tabs today also in Edge. Please let us know if you have any more questions we can help with. Cheers!

@MarsMas Thank you so much for this feedback. We are always looking to improve our features. If you are still finding this, feel free to submit feedback to us through in-browser feedback tool (Shift+Alt+I or “…” menu > Help and feedback > Send feedback). Please include the string “IntroducingSleepingTabsExperiment” so we can connect it back your post here. Thank you in advance! 

You can enable it now in edge://flags by searching for "sleep" and turning it on.

@HotCakeX I'm using Stable with the Edge flag and I love it. It just needs to not do Tab Wake upon hover, using last icon for tab thumbnail option, and allow tab sleep button to shut down tabs that use lots of memory. It would also be nice if you could open tabs while they are in sleep mode and see the last state of the tab without changes, allowing native scrolling.

@htmlcssjs 

it's an interesting idea, not waking tabs up and still interact with them.

but I didn't know hovering over tabs would wake them up, it doesn't do it for me on Version 89.0.711.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

like I can hover over the sleep tab, I get to see the message that says this tab is sleeping, and after i move the mouse cursor away, the tab keeps sleeping.

Sleeping tabs are no longer getting greyed out.... Is this intentional?

Version 89.0.720.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mileCheck edge://settings/system and see if your timeframe of that tab is more than the timeout you've set. Good luck :)

@Dennis5mile 

@Dennis5mile wrote:
Sleeping tabs are no longer getting greyed out.... Is this intentional?

Version 89.0.720.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Dennis5mile

I noticed that too, at least from a week ago on Canary.

@Kam 

Spoiler

@Kam wrote:
@Dennis5mileCheck edge://settings/system and see if your timeframe pf that tab is more than the timeout you've set. Good luck :)

It's not that. mine is set to 5 mins (lowest) and still no tab becomes grey or sleeps.