Introducing Sleeping Tabs Experiment: Improving Memory Usage in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

Note: We are in the process of deploying this feature, so it may be a little while before you see it in your respective channel and build.

To improve memory and CPU utilization of the browser, we've developed a feature called sleeping tabs.

Early internal testing of devices with sleeping tabs has shown a median memory usage reduction of 26% for Microsoft Edge. Our internal testing has also shown that a normal background tab uses 29% more CPU for Microsoft Edge than a sleeping tab. These resource savings should result in excellent battery savings. Although individual device performance varies depending on configuration and usage, we expect the decrease in resource and battery usage to create a better browsing experience for users.

Median memory usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devicesMedian memory usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devices

Average CPU usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devicesAverage CPU usage of Microsoft Edge based on performance data aggregated across ~13000 devices

Sleeping tabs builds upon the core of Chromium’s “freezing” technology. Freezing pauses a tab’s script timers to minimize resource usage. A sleeping tab resumes automatically when clicked, which is different than discarded tabs, which require the page to fully be reloaded.

We built upon the freezing technology to create sleeping tabs. This feature allows inactive background tabs to “go to sleep,” releasing system resources after a set amount of time. These resources include both memory and CPU and can be used for new or existing tabs or other applications running on your device.

By default, we’ve set tabs to go to sleep after two hours of inactivity. If two hours isn’t right for you, you can choose a different time interval in edge://settings/system. Tabs that are asleep will fade to let you know they’ve released resources. To resume a sleeping tab, click on it like a normal tab. The tab will un-fade and your content will be there immediately. You can also add sites you never want to sleep to a block list in Settings.

gif of several tabs open, with one fading to sleep, and 7 other tabs also fadinggif of several tabs open, with one fading to sleep, and 7 other tabs also fading

With this technology, it is possible that some sites may not work as expected after they go to sleep. We have built heuristics to detect these scenarios and prevent those tabs from sleeping to keep you in your flow. We are eager to get your feedback on sleeping tabs. If you experience a compat issue, please refresh the page and let us know through Microsoft Edge by pressing Shift+Alt+I on a Windows device or going to Settings and more … > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

Sleeping tabs will be coming soon to Canary and Dev Channels [87.0.649.0]. If you see the sleeping tabs feature while browsing, please join us here on the Microsoft Edge Insider forums or Twitter to discuss your experience, or send us your feedback through the browser! If you have any questions, see our FAQ or reach out to us. We hope you enjoy this exciting new feature and look forward to hearing from you!

- The Microsoft Edge Product Team

214 Replies

@HotCakeX, thank you for checking this feature out and continuing to share your experience! We love hearing how this feature works with how you use the browser today, and will keep your feedback in mind. Thank you for being an Insider!

@Dennis5mile, thank you for your feedback. We love hearing you walk through the feature experience and sharing what works for you and what doesn't. We will keep your feedback in mind and look forward to any future feedback you might have!  

@raimond2, it's great to understand how this feature is working with your browser habits - thanks for sharing this. We will keep your feedback in mind.  Thank you for giving this feature a try. Looking forward to any future feedback you might have.

@Eleanor_Huynh Hi all, It is a very useful feature. But here needed 2 more features. one is to set tab sleep instantly by right clicking on it. and then set sleep all other tabs instantly by right clicking on it.

@Eleanor_Huynh I have been using The Great Suspender for the last few weeks and i found the ability to suspend tabs really useful and it would be great to see how useful this feature is baked into Edge without the need for an extension.

I have a couple of issues though

-There is no ability to manually put tabs to sleep

-No option to put a tab to sleep after 5 minutes, instead of 15 minutes

-No dedicated icon, so i have to search for the feature to make changes

-No option to put tabs to sleep all at once

I am hoping there will be more changes and features added before this is available on the Stable Channel.

Is there a way to force the tabs to be put to sleep? Some tabs aren't put to sleep even though they aren't doing anything important to me. I tried disabling the heuristics flag, but it didn't do anything.

@Eleanor_Huynh 

Hi i do not see the settings for the sleep function in my edge://settings/system.

I only see|

Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed

Use hardware acceleration when available

Open your computer's proxy settings

Hans

@Hans ten Berge Hi, are you using Edge Dev or canary channels?

Awesome feature. Been using an extension for same, but with this built-in and implemented better will be more useful. Thanks.

@Eleanor_Huynh Love it! Makes so much sense to save on resources you're not using and put them to use somewhere else especially with the number of tabs I might have open any given workday!

So far had no problems at all! The page has come back up as soon as I've clicked on it. Did not notice a thing!

Keep up the magnificent work MS Edge!

@Eleanor_Huynh Really cool feature, great work on that guys

@Eleanor_HuynhEleanor, I'd like to make a suggestion which is related to why I keep multiple tabs open for days on end in the first place.  Bookmarks don't save one's position within a website.  Essentially why I keep tabs open is to bookmark not just the page but my location within the page.  So, what I'd prefer even more than sleeping tabs is the ability to bookmark a page + one's position within the page.  Then I could just bookmark pages into appropriately labelled tab groups instead of leaving them all open consuming resources unnecessarily.  I wonder if anyone else here keeps tabs open because of they don't want to lose their position within the webpages?

@Eleanor_Huynh Please please please make sure you release MDM/Intune and GPO/ADMX updates to go with this.  The EUC community running this on WVD/Citrix/RDS will jump on this potentially great feature, and the means to deploy and manage it from the get go!

Thanks!

Hi Raimond, thanks for your feedback! Have you had a chance to try out Collections? We've added a feature that we think might help you with this task. 

When you select text on a page and drag-and-drop into Collections, we'll bring you back to that place on the page and highlight the saved text when you click the card again. If you get the chance to try this out, I'd love to know if this solution meets your needs, or if you have feedback on how it could be improved. Thank you for the suggestion!

Image preview

@raimond2 @Eleanor_Huynh 

I like this feature I set timeout to 15 minutes. But I don't like grey-out tab names - it's harder to read. After awhile all my tabs become grey and unreadable so I was forced to set timeout to 1 hour. May be instead use some icon? Or make tab name background different color?

Also I don't understand why would I want to know which tabs are sleeping? Will I lose some notifications if tab is sleeping?

@Eleanor_Huynh 

Ok, so after 27 days of using this feature I still find absolutely NO problems whatsoever.  Tabs are still responding immediately upon clicking them without any delay that I can see.    If you "had" to do anything maybe if possible, to free up more resources.  Otherwise Great Job Team.  

Dennis5mile

@Eleanor_HuynhRE: "A sleeping tab resumes automatically when clicked, which is different than discarded tabs, which require the page to fully be reloaded."

Is there a discarded tabs feature also in Edge?  If not I'd suggest a further 'power state' option that causes tabs to enter the discarded state after a set time in sleep state to save even more system resources.

@Eleanor_Huynh it does not work fine for me, with many tabs opening,  memory goes ups and down frequently while freezing my edge browser from time to time. i went back to my stable edge it manage my memory better.