Introducing Dictionary for PDF mini menu

Microsoft

Hello Insiders! We have heard your feedback about supporting a dictionary feature to increase productivity while reading PDFs. We are excited to announce a new dictionary feature – our first step in the integration of smart actions in the Edge context menus.

josh_bodner_0-1617054726143.png   josh_bodner_1-1617054726151.png

The mini menu is an evolution of the context menu and allows quicker access to common browser actions and new smart actions like the define (dictionary) action. This new dictionary feature allows you to look up definitions of words while reading a PDF document in Microsoft Edge. This built-in dictionary is very easy to access and use. While reading a PDF file, simply select the word and a mini menu will appear near the word once it’s selected. You can invoke the definition card by clicking on the Define menu item. Alongside the definition, you can click the speaker button to hear the pronunciation. If you would like to search for more information about the word, you can click the 'Search for "selection"' to see more Bing powered web results in sidebar search. You can also access the dictionary feature in the right-click menu.

The dictionary feature is an addition to the mini menu for PDF annotations. In future edge versions, the on-selection menu and dictionary cards will also be supported on web pages in Microsoft Edge.

The dictionary feature is now available in Microsoft Edge Dev and Canary channels and supports these languages: German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, and Polish.

Head to the ... menu in the top right of your browser window > Help and feedback > Send feedback to let us know how you like this feature or if you spot any issues! You can also leave a comment below.

10 Replies

@josh_bodner 

it's really great, specially when it's also coming to web pages and hopefully Immersive reader mode.

just hope more languages will be supported in the future and also this should be consistent with dark/light theme in Edge. currently, word definition is always displayed in light/white theme.

Till up now I didn't receive the "Define" option in mini menu!
MacOS 11.1 Edge Version 91.0.843.0 (Official build) Canary (64-bit)
I tried to download the dev version too but still I don't see this feature!
Even on my Windows 10 PC on Canary channel still I don't see this option.
I hope I'll receive this feature ASAP because I really need it in my studies.
Hi!
Thank you for the trying out the dictionary feature and for your feedback.
We plan to support more languages in future and we are also working on supporting all Edge themes. Please let us know if you have any additional feedback.
I'm using Edge Win 10 version Dev Build 91.0.838.3, but I don't have 'Define' option in the mini menu, even if I have changed the region setting in windows setting to the United States. I hope it can support all the region, although it only has English explanation now.

@Be1iefLi 

@Be1iefLi wrote:
I'm using Edge Win 10 version Dev Build 91.0.838.3, but I don't have 'Define' option in the mini menu, even if I have changed the region setting in windows setting to the United States. I hope it can support all the region, although it only has English explanation now.

That region in Windows has no effect on this.
these new features are normally following controlled rollouts
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/controlled-feature-roll-outs-in-microsoft-edge/m-p/7...

your location is detected based on your IP address, Not the one in Windows settings.

Please make the dictionary feature offline and let it support the immersive reader too in the offline mode. I desperately need the feature especially after microsoft isn't letting me to rollback to the legacy version of the edge.

@HotCakeX 

Dictionary Features is still not appearing in the mini menu: Version 92.0.902.9.

Note I am in Australia.

No such feature in the latest Microsoft Edge browser. Could it be that only selected users can access it? Or is there a need on our part for us to be able to access this certain feature? I would love to try using Microsoft Edge as a pdf reader in lieu of Adobe Reader in terms of accessible simplicity.

Somehow this is a great feature, yet still not available.

I would love to hear from you. Thank you and kudos to Microsoft's Interconnected Vision. :)
Hi ! Thanks for the great function. I wonder why the mini menu of "Define" does not show up on my Edge (version 94.0.992.38) . Is this function not available in China ? Will there be support in translating English into Chinese?
It's really great, I can use this define menu for not only English but also other languages.
I wonder why the result shows "definition is not found" for most of the words?
Is it just me, or do you have the same problem, too? If the problem is the configuration of my windows / edge option settings, could you tell me how to fix it?
I think this function uses online dictionary, if possible I would like to customize it to get better experiences.