Introducing Buy now, pay later in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

“Buy now, pay later,” or BNPL, lets shoppers break their purchases into equal installment payments, often interest-free, which can allow shoppers to get their purchase upfront, instead of having to wait until it’s paid in full.

Usually, BNPL is offered in specific ecommerce websites like Target, Walmart. But now, Microsoft partners with 3rd party Zip (previously Quadpay) to offer a BNPL payment option at browser level. It means any purchase between $35 - $1,000 you make through Microsoft Edge can be split into 4 installments over 6 weeks.

On top of coverage, we also aim to 1) meet you where you are. 2) simplify the application process.

Meet you where you are:

When you are in checkout page, you can find BNPL option right when you enter credit card number

mehua_0-1637004947434.png

For some shoppers, you can also find BNPL option right when you enter checkout page.

mehua_1-1637004947447.png

Simplify application process:

Applying BNPL could take time, you need to sign in with zip every single time. With BNPL in Edge, you can simply link your Microsoft account with your zip account with one click and then bypass sign in from Zip side. It can expedite the application process for you.

mehua_2-1637004947477.png

BNPL is currently available in Microsoft Edge Canary and Dev channels and will be available by default to all users in Microsoft Edge release 96. If you experience any issue while using this feature, please let us know through Microsoft Edge by pressing Shift+Alt+I on a Windows device or going to Settings and more … > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

You can read more on the FAQ support article. Please also join us here on the Microsoft Edge Insider forums or Twitter to discuss your experience or send us your feedback through the browser! We hope you enjoy this exciting new feature and look forward to hearing from you!

263 Replies

Just made the move from Edge to Brave in about 5 mins. I have been a HUGE proponent of Microsoft, Bing and Edge and this has left such a sour taste I just could not in good conscience continue with Microsoft. I have been moving clients away from Google to Microsoft 365 and Microsoft services over the last 3-5 years and between this and the types of things like the Windows 11 Edge default browser blocking & continued privacy issues in Microsoft products like Windows & Office etc, I have lost all faith that Microsoft has really become the trusted company that they were trying to make us believe they have become. It's too bad as I really had bought into the new hope of them being a trusted corp where I could trust my clients with.

The tags for the article are hilarious. The publisher has clearly stated an opinion. Strong move.

I just did read about this and couldn't believe it. But it's true and it's just an awful thing!
Microsoft is adding another way for people to get in trouble by companies like ZIP that are just greedy money wolfs. Microsoft also sees money and adds it to Edge.

This is NOT an "exciting new feature", it just a real anti-social function that is confirming Microsoft's hunger for power :(
Since it's introduction I've been loving the new Edge browser including it's many settings and offers compared to similar options, but these recent "features" are things no one asked for. Basically bloatware and/or even spyware.
anyone can put those tags :) have a great day
This is yet another super disappointing decision by the Edge team. I can only assume that Edge PMs have some really messed up incentives, because you keep trashing Edge’s reputation and Microsoft’s reputation for short-term gain. I hope you reconsider this feature.
PSA: Firefox is available in the Windows app store, and the transition is remarkably smooth. Bookmarks and passwords can be imported seamlessly, and tbh everything works as it should, but without any preinstalled coupon extensions or related bloat. There's still a few privacy settings to tweak upon install, but they're easily found, and more reasonable than what Edge is doing. I moved from Chrome to Edge Chromium pretty much when it became available, but recently it's been so in-your-face about unnecessary additions that I finally made the switch. Too bad, I liked it for the most part.
I really liked Firefox, it has nice themes but I really missed Edge. Though this BNPL feature hasn't come to Edge yet

@mehua This is stupid. I will never use this and yet I have no way to turn it off and it bugs me when I make a purchase. I use and recommend MS Edge but you guys are making it much harder to recommend when you add trash like this to the default experience with no way to turn it off. This is not helpful for 99% of your users and is potentially harmful for others.

So MS has learned nothing from the decades of hatred for the IE browser. They spend time and money trying to build a browser people want, then ruin it with bloatware and shameless cash grabbing plugins. It's so simple. We want a fast secure browser. THATS IT! No expanded threat landscape for profit. No crappy bloatware and insecure plugins. I'm done. Back to Mozilla.
And if they keep trying to force Edge on me, I'll cut ties all together and go to Ubuntu. I don't game anymore so there's little reason to stay.
I don't expect that from a browser. I'm thinking of switching back to chrome
And right you are.
I just switched to Vivaldi, a Chromium based browser but more freedom to customize.
And everything Edge on my PC is either gone or blocked. I am sure that with a next Windows update, Edge will be there on my system again like usual but I'll keep on blocking it.
Enough is enough with the "force it down your throat" attitude Microsoft has :(
No thank you. The only people who really want this feature is someone high up in the Microsoft food chain.
Like many, I do not like the direction Edge has taken recently. It was all about security and performance. Now, it's full of tacky, nagging features that clutter and negate the experience tremendously.
Want to send Microsoft a little bit of that telemetry data they love to collect? Uninstall Edge (at least until they force re-install it) using the commands from https://www.intowindows.com/2-ways-to-uninstall-microsoft-edge-from-windows-11
Let's switch to Vivaldi!
This is a disgusting addition to Edge. It will only serve to damage Microsoft's reputation. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be ashamed, and needs to be retrained or replaced.

The functionality should be removed from Edge. Offer it as an Extension if you must. However, development time would be better spent fixing bugs rather than adding this sort of garbage.
This news made me give Firefox another try and I was pleasantly surprised to find that all the issues I previously had with Firefox are now resolved. Bye-bye Edge. You shot yourself in the foot, Microsoft!
It seems that the Microsoft team have backtracked on the default app thing and now in preview, they allow you to quickly set browser as default. So hopefully they will not implement this buy now, :) have a wonderful Christmas everyone