Introducing Buy now, pay later in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

“Buy now, pay later,” or BNPL, lets shoppers break their purchases into equal installment payments, often interest-free, which can allow shoppers to get their purchase upfront, instead of having to wait until it’s paid in full.

Usually, BNPL is offered in specific ecommerce websites like Target, Walmart. But now, Microsoft partners with 3rd party Zip (previously Quadpay) to offer a BNPL payment option at browser level. It means any purchase between $35 - $1,000 you make through Microsoft Edge can be split into 4 installments over 6 weeks.

On top of coverage, we also aim to 1) meet you where you are. 2) simplify the application process.

Meet you where you are:

When you are in checkout page, you can find BNPL option right when you enter credit card number

mehua_0-1637004947434.png

For some shoppers, you can also find BNPL option right when you enter checkout page.

mehua_1-1637004947447.png

Simplify application process:

Applying BNPL could take time, you need to sign in with zip every single time. With BNPL in Edge, you can simply link your Microsoft account with your zip account with one click and then bypass sign in from Zip side. It can expedite the application process for you.

mehua_2-1637004947477.png

BNPL is currently available in Microsoft Edge Canary and Dev channels and will be available by default to all users in Microsoft Edge release 96. If you experience any issue while using this feature, please let us know through Microsoft Edge by pressing Shift+Alt+I on a Windows device or going to Settings and more … > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

You can read more on the FAQ support article. Please also join us here on the Microsoft Edge Insider forums or Twitter to discuss your experience or send us your feedback through the browser! We hope you enjoy this exciting new feature and look forward to hearing from you!

263 Replies
Between windows 11 & buy now, pay later, Microsoft is coming off as very tone deaf to the current state of the world!
Really not wanted. Please remove this intrusive and unnecessary feature from what is otherwise an excellent product.
Really loving Edge Microsoft, being using Microsoft Surface and all your stuff for years. It's a great browser so far, extenstions are the way to go. Everything else if perfect, make this the best browser out there :) You can do it!! Bing is amazing too though please don't push it. Let Edge speak for it's self.
Even international MS-positive Media, like www.winfuture.de is writing about this faux pas from the Edge Team. Please remove this utterly useless and dumb feature!

You can't uninstall edge. It's like a cancer entwined in every aspect of Windows. If you remove it, it only comes back with the next windows update. There was an app that allowed you to bypass Edge but Microsoft found a way to disable that. Bing is also so tied to Edge. The only way I could get my searches back to Google was to block Bing at the router level. Microsoft brags about how Edge is moving up in browser percentage but that's only because it automatically launches with Windows. If Edge is so good let it stand on it's own and let users decide if it is great.  @ABU 

How do I break a good browser? Put Bloatware in it and guarantee that over time your browser will no longer be used by ANYONE! I disabled the Edge now on Windows 11.... Hello Microsoft Edge until never again!

Running Vivaldi parallel to Edge at the moment so I can swap if this is actually introduced. I really thought MS had changed its spots. The only thing I will really miss is Collections I guess.
I don't think they will roll out this to the stable version due to all these critisum.

A browser should be just that, a browser that people use to consume the content they want. Any features added to the browser should be only to make the browsing experience better. This feature, will only be useful to a small sub-set of websites (shopping sites). The feature is also only supported in only 6 countries. And not many people will want to use this feature. So why is this being added to the product, when, the vast majority cannot or will not use this? If this was launched as an extension created by Microsoft I would understand it. As long as it was not added by default...

This feels like a waste of resources and frankly makes me doubt if the Edge browser is for me. I started using it when the RC release came out I believe, because it felt better than Chrome. This is starting to make Chrome look mighty fine again.

I already had to turn off a Pinterest "feature" and another shopping "feature" in the settings. When another is being added I think I'm pretty much over Edge. I want a browser that provides me the best browsing experience, not a browser that is loaded with affiliate links and kickback "features".

A browser shouldn't come with this kind of intrusive features. Please reconsider!
100%. Between actions like this from the Edge team and the recent active forcing of users into Edge as the default browser, I am starting to get the yuck old Microsoft feels. And this is coming from someone who has generally appreciated the Microsoft of the past several years and have enjoyed Windows 10 and 11, and am a regular Edge user! If this makes it to standard production builds I'll likely have to start switching to something else and encourage others to do the same. Keep Edge fast and clean with OPTIONAL additions available. This is a very bad look for the company, and it needs to stop.
What an absolute horrendous idea, a browser recommending installment payments that could encourage a user into dept. The browser should be angostic to this not encouraging spending.
Are you deliberately trying to force users to alternative browsers and alienate Edge?

@Languageservicesco61 pretty sure collections still exist? Or is it going away sometime?

**bleep** no. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?
Registered my account just to say: roll this out and I will uninstall Edge on every last device I own.

Edge is a GREAT browser currently. PLEASE do not make it **bleep** with this. I'd be fine with an optional extension that needs to be explicitly installed.

@mehua 

Having a popup that announces that it has listened in on my purchase and wants to help? That is the definition of SpyWare in my book! 

I used Chrome for years until about a month ago when I switched to Edge. I like Edge for browsing just as much as Chrome and the complaints I reads regarding Chrome aren't really a problem for me. Chrome really isn't a bad browser. If we ignore the propaganda it's actually a very good browser.

p.s. that REWARDS button doesn't apply ro me and I can't remove it. If I were a rabid capitalist would I

be happier with Edge?

Zip can make an extension like honey for all the browsers just not integrate this natively into the browser. Thank you,
No, just say no. As a 30-year MS partner I’ve almost completed my & my company’s customers to Edge from Chrome because of crapware like this. If you force this on users we will move to Firefox. We won’t be alone. @mehua clearly you’re trying to justify your job, but if I were Nadella, at the first sign of customers ditching Edge for anything else you’d be out of a job. Period.
Truly disappointed to see Microsoft pushing profit for the company at the cost of user experience by adding more bloatware to the browser. I used to be an loyal user of Edge, but now Edge is more evil than Chrome!
Not sure how I feel about this, although if it's US only it won't affect me. Will there be the appropriate policies in GPO and MDM to disable the feature?