Introducing Buy now, pay later in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

“Buy now, pay later,” or BNPL, lets shoppers break their purchases into equal installment payments, often interest-free, which can allow shoppers to get their purchase upfront, instead of having to wait until it’s paid in full.

Usually, BNPL is offered in specific ecommerce websites like Target, Walmart. But now, Microsoft partners with 3rd party Zip (previously Quadpay) to offer a BNPL payment option at browser level. It means any purchase between $35 - $1,000 you make through Microsoft Edge can be split into 4 installments over 6 weeks.

On top of coverage, we also aim to 1) meet you where you are. 2) simplify the application process.

Meet you where you are:

When you are in checkout page, you can find BNPL option right when you enter credit card number

mehua_0-1637004947434.png

For some shoppers, you can also find BNPL option right when you enter checkout page.

mehua_1-1637004947447.png

Simplify application process:

Applying BNPL could take time, you need to sign in with zip every single time. With BNPL in Edge, you can simply link your Microsoft account with your zip account with one click and then bypass sign in from Zip side. It can expedite the application process for you.

mehua_2-1637004947477.png

BNPL is currently available in Microsoft Edge Canary and Dev channels and will be available by default to all users in Microsoft Edge release 96. If you experience any issue while using this feature, please let us know through Microsoft Edge by pressing Shift+Alt+I on a Windows device or going to Settings and more … > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

You can read more on the FAQ support article. Please also join us here on the Microsoft Edge Insider forums or Twitter to discuss your experience or send us your feedback through the browser! We hope you enjoy this exciting new feature and look forward to hearing from you!

263 Replies
Please don't.
The person who pushed this should not be working at Microsoft.

@mehua This is the "drink a can of mountain dew to continue playing Halo" meme come to life. Have you no self respect Microsoft?

Browser makers have a lot of goodwill and explicit power. Using those up to make an extra buck is gross and disappointing. You could use this power to push the industry forward, and you're using it to make a few extra dollars. Please reconsider - you're hurting the $MSFT brand.

@mehua As a huge fan of Edge this is a massive disappointment.

It's impressive how quickly you can throw away years of hard work and good will with a ridiculous feature like this. The Edge teams need to pause and think how they possibly thought this was a good idea. Even the Bing features are getting too aggressive.

You're not being clever or sneaky. Everyone is noticing all these changes and you should consider yourselves lucky that enough people care about it to help you correct the mistakes rather than silently abandon it.

This is an awful idea. Please cancel this project. You are making your browser worse, and the lives of anyone who uses this feature worse.
I don't like where Edge is going. I just switched my default browser from Edge back to Chrome.
Seriously! What kind of tone deaf BS is this? I moved from Chrome to Edge as I liked it's relative speed and small neat features which improved my browsing experience. But if nonsense like this is added I'll be switching straight back to Chrome. Even Google never dared to do something like this. Edge is a good browser. Don't ruin it with this rubbish
As many have mentioned above please don't keep on adding such bloat. Edge has become a really good alternative to others but if you are going to follow this path it won't be anymore. People just want a solid reliable browser with less distracting features.

@mehua I'm on a Mac.  I switched to Edge from Chrome last year, and I'll switch back if idiotic, poorly thought out ideas like this are put into the browser.  Keep it as a browser.  

It appears that Microsoft is intent on destroying any goodwill Edge has made by adding 'features' like this, which honestly - few average users won't be able to figure out and use, and disabling the ability for users to select their default browser in Win11.  

I have no words.

I have live in bloatware -90 centry, have you?
I think this decision is absolutely horrible. These services are predatory, and certainly do not deserve to be built into the core functionality of a browser. At least have some respect for your users. It's frankly not acceptable and whoever thought this was a good idea deserves to be reprimanded. I refuse to continue supporting Edge and all the good you've done if you're going to continue making short sighted and bloatware-y decisions like these.
I had to call Microsoft tech support for something totally unrelated yesterday. When they asked if I needed help with anything else, I said, please help with blocking BNPL.
It seems like Microsoft had been divided into competing biblical entities. One is pure and creates things like VS Code and Powertoys. The other is the demonic beast who comes up with this ridiculous, insulting garbage.

@mehua BNPL is a great option for large purchases, but taking over the most sensitive field in checkout to "help" customer isn't the best experience. It is invasive, and frankly, very cheap implementation. I recommend that you put breaks on making it GA, and do some more user research to figure out the best way to offer this. 

Exactly, great analogy!

@mehua Just as I was considering moving my team to an all-Microsoft shop you start to pull this. Please stop the bloat! I'd rather go Chromium than this!

This is great feature and indeed is a great improvement for the user experience. However, I wish for expanding such a features for more countries and more partners.
This is a poor excuse of a feature and is a regression towards an IE type of user experience. I wish that you retract this feature in all countries and for all partners.
No! I needed to +1 the dislikes and had to make an account to do this. I am a HUGE fan of Edge telling every friend to switch over (it will be better if we aren't all using Chrome), I switched even away from Firefox... and I've been loving Edge... but careful MS, don't abuse your recent gains. This should NOT have been allowed to get into the product with opt-in or AT LEAST A PROMPT. I couldn't believe it would just appear next to my credit card choices, without anything to disable it, tell it to go away because no, I have no interest.

I'll even let slide my commentary on whether this is truly a Good Thing to do to your users... it mostly isn't, and those that want/need it can seek it out.

Come on MS!
Let me join the chorus of negativity around this!
What unbelievable crapware!

Should be optional at the very least.

What are you thinking!?!