Introducing Buy now, pay later in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

“Buy now, pay later,” or BNPL, lets shoppers break their purchases into equal installment payments, often interest-free, which can allow shoppers to get their purchase upfront, instead of having to wait until it’s paid in full.

Usually, BNPL is offered in specific ecommerce websites like Target, Walmart. But now, Microsoft partners with 3rd party Zip (previously Quadpay) to offer a BNPL payment option at browser level. It means any purchase between $35 - $1,000 you make through Microsoft Edge can be split into 4 installments over 6 weeks.

On top of coverage, we also aim to 1) meet you where you are. 2) simplify the application process.

Meet you where you are:

When you are in checkout page, you can find BNPL option right when you enter credit card number

mehua_0-1637004947434.png

For some shoppers, you can also find BNPL option right when you enter checkout page.

mehua_1-1637004947447.png

Simplify application process:

Applying BNPL could take time, you need to sign in with zip every single time. With BNPL in Edge, you can simply link your Microsoft account with your zip account with one click and then bypass sign in from Zip side. It can expedite the application process for you.

mehua_2-1637004947477.png

BNPL is currently available in Microsoft Edge Canary and Dev channels and will be available by default to all users in Microsoft Edge release 96. If you experience any issue while using this feature, please let us know through Microsoft Edge by pressing Shift+Alt+I on a Windows device or going to Settings and more … > Help and feedback > Send feedback.

You can read more on the FAQ support article. Please also join us here on the Microsoft Edge Insider forums or Twitter to discuss your experience or send us your feedback through the browser! We hope you enjoy this exciting new feature and look forward to hearing from you!

263 Replies
Adding my opinion to this, I think these sorts of features should be left to third party extension developer who can submit to edge extension store rather than Microsoft forcefully shoving this uncalled bloat down our throats. Remember, maintaining the reputation of a good browser is much harder than throwing it off a cliff, given how you had to rebrand extensively over the old mistakes MS made that tied older Edge and IE to bloated and unreliable. Don't push the same garbage over here again.
What in the name of gutter trash is this garbage? You guys are going to KILL any momentum you had with Edge putting this kind of crud in. This is worse than the new widgets pane in W11. Seriously should be ashamed for letting it get this far.
How ill-timed can a new feature be? Encouraging people to go into debt just ahead of the holiday? Add in rising consumer price inflation? And I just searched in settings where to turn it off and can't find it (though I haven't experienced it yet on a shopping site).
Please don't do this. We've been promoting Microsoft Edge over Chrome to students because of the excellent accessiblity and learning features, how can we in good conscience continue promoting the browser when it has this sort of nonsense built in? How much is this kind of thing worth to a multi-billion company anyway, surely not enough compared to the bad publicity it will generate?

At the very least make it an extension or opt-in. Seems like Microsoft managers obsessing again about short-term takeup stats and revenue, rather than committing to a product long term.

@mehua Well, so much for using Edge anymore. I actually decided to make it my main browser on my server, and... this is completely ruining any good will you had, and is likely something that will prevent me from ever using your browser again. I gave it a try. It was good. You ruined it.

Just a tip for future development: if it's not core to a web browsing experience or security in that experience, it doesn't belong baked into the browser. It doesn't matter how much money you're getting to put in bloated adware. The fact that you're selling out your web browser is disgusting.

It's like they finished watching Squid Games and came away learning all the wrong lessons. :rolling_on_the_floor_laughing::rolling_on_the_floor_laughing:

@NerdelbaumFrink There is a good case for building browsers with differentiating features (otherwise we might as well all just be using Chrome and Safari) and MS have done a good job with adding stuff that Chrome should have put in years ago. But MS also seem addicted to these spammy, half-baked tie-ins with random companies that will be dropped anyway in a year or two. See the Pinterest integration in Collections (why??). This one is presumably driven by some manager stressing about Edge not hitting revenue / engagement targets, caring nothing about the fact that they're corrupting their core browser with gimmicky, exploitative rubbish. It's a shame because chromium Edge has been a genuine success in my view, and has even made browser choice relevant again.

A fixed $4 fee on a $35 purchase is insanely worse than any credit card.
I switched to Edge from Chrome for this. If it rolls out to stable I am pretty much sure I would find a way to uninstall Edge completely.

How do I turn this off?  I don't want to spend one CPU cycle on this and I don't want it popping up.

So far in my (Dev) release, a search of Settings does not turn up any likely suspects. Maybe its a semi-hidden flags thing.

I just don't get it. Microsoft showed such model-citizen good behavior on Edge for a while and now this and some other pushy moves.
Yep I just started using Edge instead of Chrome but this has convinced me to go back to Chrome.
No thanks. Focus on democratising the web, not commercial debt partnerships.
This feature is unnecessary and predatory. I've always used PCs but between the endless tracking you've added to every native program - thereby slowing my machine to the point it's almost unusable until I go in and disable a dozen programs - and the fact you didn't automatically make this blatant cash grab an extension has me saving up for a Mac.

In the meantime, thank you for reminding me to export my family's bookmarks & remove Edge from our desktop shortcut panels & menu bars. We won't be using your browser ever again.
Another reason not to have Edge as my browser of choice on Windows. Allow this an optional plugin if you must, but not as something baked into the browser itself. Please.
Why are you doing this? Why should this be part of the browser instead of an extension? Whose idea was this? Who asked for this?
I legit made an account here to comment.

Stop. Doing. This.

You've already got enough money. Just make the browser better than Chrome and people will use it. Tying ads in just to convert easily swayed people who don't have money into buying things they don't need or otherwise wouldn't buy is just gross.

Stop this.
Just no... This is a terrible idea on so many levels!
This is an extraordinarily bad idea. On so many levels. Short term loan programs are predatory, targeting the most vulnerable and poorest populations with high penalties.

Edge is already has an optics issue. This just makes it so much worse.
what the hell? This is shameful.

I switched to Edge from Chrome and Firefox because I was hoping to have a cleaner, less bloated browser. Instead, this? Look, I was sort of okay with the coupon detector thing, because it was just one thing, but now you're adding this? Come on.
Look, it's fine if you want to get people to install Bing desktop, or make an extension and even promote it on the default New Tab page or whatever. But please, keep this out of the default install.